Menu

6th Grade Planning 2022-2023

PIE!

Is there a 6th grade planning thread yet? I did a search and one didn't come up. If there is already one, please link me to it. If there isn't one, can we start one please?

It has been a few years since I last homeschooled, but I've got a 6th grade year to work out now, so I came here to see what's new, and also what's old that I had forgotten about. 🙂

This year I plan to use:

Michael Clay Thompson English - probably Island and Town levels even though they're for younger grades. They have such a nice foundation that I want daughter to have. If she breezes through them we'll move on to Voyage.

Singapore 6th grade math as a review (just to make sure she really knows it - she supposedly finished 6th grade math in 5th grade), then on to Jousting Armadillos and Crocodiles and Coconuts

Spelling Power

And that's all I'm positive about so far.

For science maybe Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding? I've got the books, and they're great, but I'm open to other things.

We'll probably do some stuff from Critical Thinking Press

We'll read a lot of great books - she wants to start with Pride and Prejudice. I'd love suggestions of other books. Preferably not tween drama. She's very tired of those being assigned at school, and I don't blame her.

For History - maybe Story of the World or The Human Odyssey? Those are what I have. Are there other great resources around?

And beyond that, I'm stumped. I've never found a writing program I like, and I'm not a great writing teacher. I'd love to outsource this. 

And we'll need some extracurriculars like art or foreign language.

What are all of you doing with your 6th graders? I need the ideas. 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 6:49 AM, Mona said:

Here you go 🤓 

6th grade planning thread 2022-2023

Spoiler

Thank you Mona for sharing that link with us. I would also like to help you by sharing the https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/julius-caesar/ website with you where you can read essay examples for free. I also use that website to read free essay examples.

Thank you Mona :)

Edited by JamiePham
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, PIE! said:

I also just saw my signature. Wow that's old. The dd(4) mentioned is the child currently going into 6th grade. I have no idea how to edit that anymore. 🤦‍♀️I'll have to figure it out! 

Why do I not see signatures for anyone whether I use cell or laptop? I see them mentioned often, and assume they are like old voyforums style script below posts, but never actually see any. 🤔

21 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Why do I not see signatures for anyone whether I use cell or laptop? I see them mentioned often, and assume they are like old voyforums style script below posts, but never actually see any. 🤔

It's probably turned off in your account settings. I see them on a PC but not mobile. 

• Thanks 1

My current 6th grader is probably in that linked thread but I don't remember if it was updated. The best laid plans seem to have a way of changing right before the rubber meets the road. 😄

Here's his line up. 

English:
-Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind (not full speed)
-Sentence Composing and Paragraphs by Killgallon, Winning With Writing
-Megawords
-diy literature, some connected to his science/history, but most are just really good books

Math: AoPS prealgebra

Science and history combined: diy prehistory and evolution

Elective: diy Star Wars unit study (covering Hero's Journey, John Williams composer, science of SW, and more)

French: L'art de Lire (gently)

Extracurricular: dance, dance, dance, he's at the studio for multiple classes a minimum of four days a week

ETA: We're also doing a composer study at his request, but it's very low-key and doesn't really generate extra work. It's somewhat become a family-wide thing. We play the music throughout the days and learn a little about them. I built a list with the same old dead white guys and hunted for some colored and female names to put between them. 

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1