Menu

AoPS Math - what next (Calc or Woot)?

Mom_to3

My rising 8th grader is finishing up (and really enjoying) Intermediate Number Theory, and will soon have completed the Intermediate AoPS sequence and Precalculus. He is also working on (or has completed) all the Review and Challenge Problems for the AoPS textbooks.  Before enrolling in Intermediate Number Theory, he tried Olympiad Geometry and ended up dropping out after the 2 week trial period (I love AoPS for this flexibility!): While he enjoyed the classes themselves, he couldn't manage the problem sets - he thought there was too much trial and error and found it really frustrating (it is important for us that he keeps his joy!).

We are now wondering what to do next. Calculus is of course the next obvious step, but I would have preferred to keep it as a high school course: The main concern is that if he applies to schools this year, they may not like to see an applicant already completing this course as well (is that concern justified?). On the other hand, this would open up the possibility of calculus based Physics  the year after if we do continue to homeschool.

An alternative is WOOT, as DS would likely not have time for this type of course if we do transition to B&M school, but perhaps this would be too much, considering his Olympiad Geometry experience (and it is highly unlikely he would qualify for USA(J)MO this year). I am quite sure it's not the optimal time to take advantage of this kind of course, but if it is the only chance he has, perhaps we should just try? And if we continue homeschooling, it sounds like it can be repeated to dive in at a deeper level (the syllabus varies from year to year).

Apologies for the long thread...

If it was up to my son, I would try woot again. Perhaps he was too young the first time around for the trial and error technique? And may be ok with it now. 

sounds like you guys need to make a decision on whether or not he will be homeschooling for next couple of years. That would determine the way. 

another option is to start community college as well. Might as well get the credit. 😃

congratulations to him doing a great job so far! 

hth

5 hours ago, desertflower said:

If it was up to my son, I would try woot again. Perhaps he was too young the first time around for the trial and error technique? And may be ok with it now. 

sounds like you guys need to make a decision on whether or not he will be homeschooling for next couple of years. That would determine the way. 

another option is to start community college as well. Might as well get the credit. 😃

congratulations to him doing a great job so far! 

hth

Thank you! I wish I knew what we are doing - but with acceptance rates being what they are, who knows. Pretty sure we wouldn't send him to public school.

Yes, I see that applying to a private HS would really complicate things.  If it weren't for that, I was going to say I'd try both calc and woot and then figure out which to drop.  I know you didn't ask for additional options....  but I'll just throw this out there just in case you decide to go for the woot but it doesn't work out for him right now and want to look at other things.....    IMACS has mathematical logic classes (https://www.eimacs.com/student_aml_overview.htm) that would allow you to step to the side of the calculus track and still do something challenging.  My son loves both AOPS and IMACS content.  They give him different things and I'm so glad that we've been able to do both.  

• Like 2

If he already completed Intermediate Number Theory, I would have to think that Calc should be pretty easy for him. But, I agree that the mathematical logic courses at IMACS look really good. Fingers crossed on admissions decisions.

Has he done the AMC 10 or 12 this year? Will he the upcoming year? If not, why not? Maybe he could take and AMC problem series and seminars to avoid the calculus trap while still staying his is PZoD. If instead you're looking for a more "curricular" experience and he's finished Int. C&P, you could consider the group theory class.

You could also look outside of AoPS to AlphsStar (MC35, MC40, or MC45) or Awesomemath (level 3?). 

A nice fact is that all three offer challenging algebra-based physics classes.

When is the deadline for the applications ti the private school, and when so they send out decisions?

Edited by Malam