Menu

Generation Genius

Dianthus

Essentially it's just videos. Every video has a hands-on component at the end and there are some school-ish resources to help teachers (worksheet/assessment, vocabulary word list ...). They really market it as more of a supplement so there isn't as much "stuff" beyond the videos as Mystery Science. The videos also run straight through unlike Mystery Science. 

As for my honest review, my kids and I like the videos a lot. I think Mystery Science is a better deal, if you are looking for a full science curriculum. If you don't prefer a full science curriculum (you don't want to do that much science or you like more of supplementary material to what you are doing), then I would get the math and science combo for Generation Genius. Their math videos are also pretty good (at least for K-2), sometimes it's really good to hear someone else give a slightly different presentation of a math concept. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Clarita said:

Essentially it's just videos. Every video has a hands-on component at the end and there are some school-ish resources to help teachers (worksheet/assessment, vocabulary word list ...). They really market it as more of a supplement so there isn't as much "stuff" beyond the videos as Mystery Science. The videos also run straight through unlike Mystery Science. 

As for my honest review, my kids and I like the videos a lot. I think Mystery Science is a better deal, if you are looking for a full science curriculum. If you don't prefer a full science curriculum (you don't want to do that much science or you like more of supplementary material to what you are doing), then I would get the math and science combo for Generation Genius. Their math videos are also pretty good (at least for K-2), sometimes it's really good to hear someone else give a slightly different presentation of a math concept. 

We did mystery Science. I wish they would expand.

Someone mentioned GG to me and I hadn't heard of it. I don't care for the video previews.

Thanks.

Edited by Spirea

My daughter is watching the videos right now, lol.  I decided to look it up based on this post!  I need to focus on making our homeschool function better, so I am trying to focus on core subjects this year, but I admit I have felt guilty having no full science curriculum scheduled.  I think this might be pretty good for us!  I see there is some written information to go along with the videos.  If you are looking for a more formal curriculum, I could see why it might not appeal to you.  I'll have to decide if we will purchase a plan or not.  I actually kinda sorta like TGTB science units too, at a glance.  I purchased them for last year but sold them because we decided to do MP Astronomy instead.  But they are visually stimulating, I think, especially if you get the extra books and whatnot.

I think Generation Genius is like lots of other science video series. There's lots of good information presented in an entertaining and informative way. I vastly prefer Mystery Science, which is less frenetic and does a better job getting kids to think about what's happening and why. 

• Like 1