Menu

Vaccination question re: almost 5 yr. old

Wishes

My son turns 5 in September. He is in the 95 percentile for height and weight. I talked to our pediatrician's nurse line about having him receive the dose for 5-12 year olds (Moderna). She said they only go by age requirements. I have him and his three year old sister scheduled for their vaccines on July 10th.  However, he would only be receiving .25 (two shots Moderna) versus the .5 (two shots Moderna). I would think that it would be better for him to wait until he could receive the larger dose, but I don't know enough about vaccinations, and specifically COVID vaccinations to know if this it correct. Would it be better to wait? Do I do it in two weeks and then try the larger booster in 5 months? What offers him more/the most protection?

We have been extremely COVID cautious. No day care, inside restaurants, very rarely have they even been in a store. Outdoor preschool was masked. So far, unless asymptomatic, we have avoided COVID. I'm torn. I was really excited about getting them vaccinated soon.

@Farrar

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I'd go ahead and do it. The dosing is more about age of immune system than size. And the best vaccine is the vaccine you can get now.

That said, I'm not in this situation. And if you decided to wait, I don't think you'd be wrong.

I haven’t heard anything about age of immune system before. Do you have any links handy that would teach me more about this please? Thanks 

The Moderno shot goes all the way through five year olds. It’s the Pfizer that goes up through four. So he wouldn’t be eligible for the larger Moderna dose until he is six anyways. I would definitely do the Moderna now in your position (and in fact is what I am doing with mine that age).  

• Thanks 1

If it helps, my kid who is a year older than yours got that Modena dose in the study group and has been well protected. When Covid got our family it was minor for all of us, but he's one of the ones that never tested positive or had any symptoms despite sharing a room with a symptomatic sibling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Xahm said:

If it helps, my kid who is a year older than yours got that Modena dose in the study group and has been well protected. When Covid got our family it was minor for all of us, but he's one of the ones that never tested positive or had any symptoms despite sharing a room with a symptomatic sibling.

Thanks @Xahmthat does make me feel more confident 

• Like 1