Menu

CLE LA option?

Penny_P

I have used CLE LA and reading for several years. It’s a very good fit for my older kids. However, my rising 2nd grader gets very frustrated with the dialectical markings and the program in general. Although, honestly, he gets frustrated easily with many things, but can accomplish them fine when he’s focused.  I’m wondering if anyone has another recommendation that is independent? 

We use CLE LA for grammar, but we don’t start until 3rd grade. All the phonics and diacritical mark stuff is done by then and then grammar is still entry level. Occasionally there will be a lesson that has a brief section with something to do with pronunciation, always with a heavy reliance on using the shwa sound in a way we don’t use it, and my kids know to skip anything that “is all about the upside down e.” I can’t see any benefit to starting the program with a first or second grader (nor would I expect a first or second grader to be independent with LA work). 

46 minutes ago, KSera said:

We use CLE LA for grammar, but we don’t start until 3rd grade. All the phonics and diacritical mark stuff is done by then and then grammar is still entry level. Occasionally there will be a lesson that has a brief section with something to do with pronunciation, always with a heavy reliance on using the shwa sound in a way we don’t use it, and my kids know to skip anything that “is all about the upside down e.” I can’t see any benefit to starting the program with a first or second grader (nor would I expect a first or second grader to be independent with LA work). 

What do you use for LA until 3rd?

10 minutes ago, Penny_P said:

What do you use for LA until 3rd?

Varies. Once they are reading and handwriting well (which mine usually are by first grade), we usually do some copy work and they read and we continue read alouds of course. I have used Cottage Press Primers for that stage for two of mine. My oldest I did Sonlight at that age (that was a very long time ago as they’ve graduated college now). My next I will likely do the Cottage Press Primers or something with a similar format—read aloud, a little copy work that includes a simple grammar concept, dictation if they are ready. I find that sets them up well by third grade. I start Apples and Pears spelling around then with my non-natural spellers as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...