Menu

Dakboard questions!

ktgrok

Anyone have one? what do you display on it? I mean, calendar, yes...weather...what else? are there "better" calendar options than what comes standard? HELP! DH bought one for me, and now is using this as an excuse to upgrade one of the TVs and use the old TV as the display for the Dakboard, but I am the one configuring it. Calendar is the big thing. I may even put a monthly calendar AND an agenda on there. We ALL have ADHD, and I get MAJOR anxiety about what is coming up. 

No answers from me bc this is the first I’ve heard of it. But I have questions. How is this better than something like Cozi for our phones?  Would the tv have to be left on 24/7?  What do you pay a monthly fee for?

Ive been thinking I’d love some digital photo frames but I don’t want to pay a monthly fee and I do t want cords hanging from frames on the wall. 

11 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

No answers from me bc this is the first I’ve heard of it. But I have questions. How is this better than something like Cozi for our phones?  Would the tv have to be left on 24/7?  What do you pay a monthly fee for?

Ive been thinking I’d love some digital photo frames but I don’t want to pay a monthly fee and I do t want cords hanging from frames on the wall. 

I am the type who is constantly (like, 2-20 times a day) misplacing my phone. And my computer is usually upstairs. Younger kids don't have phones. so having a big digital display on the wall in the main family part of the house (can see from kitchen and family room) means it is easy to look over and see when something is happening. Basically, like a wall calendar, except it syncs to my google calendar, which has shared events from DH for family stuff. So if any of us edit it, we all can see it, without writing/erasing on an actual wall calendar. Plus we don't have to remember it update it from our phone, as it does it automatically. 

The device is $99 although people hack other things to create their own version. The basic plan is free. You can upgrade to create custom screen layouts, have multiple screens that change on a schedule, etc etc. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I am the type who is constantly (like, 2-20 times a day) misplacing my phone. And my computer is usually upstairs. Younger kids don't have phones. so having a big digital display on the wall in the main family part of the house (can see from kitchen and family room) means it is easy to look over and see when something is happening. Basically, like a wall calendar, except it syncs to my google calendar, which has shared events from DH for family stuff. So if any of us edit it, we all can see it, without writing/erasing on an actual wall calendar. Plus we don't have to remember it update it from our phone, as it does it automatically. 

The device is $99 although people hack other things to create their own version. The basic plan is free. You can upgrade to create custom screen layouts, have multiple screens that change on a schedule, etc etc. 

does it sync with Cozi?

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

does it sync with Cozi?

I don't see that as a easy click on option, but it has a place to insert an Ical or some other format linky thing.....so maybe?

Edit - yes it does https://dakboard.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/35000103511-how-to-add-your-cozi-calendar-to-dakboard

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, katilac said:

So what I'm hearing is that he bought if for himself, lol

Well, he has this thing about buying big TVs. What is bizzare, is he doesn't ever WATCH tv. I mean, he will put on the Great British Baking Show in the background when hanging up his laundry or something, but that's it. And he's normally fairly frugal, but when it comes to TV he just is so silly! Like, originally he was going to get this one that was under 200. But hey, for double the price, you can get a bigger one! And then, it was only $50 more for one that does xyz with this other feature! And I'm staring at him because this is SO not like him....but whatever. We got our tax return, and we don't buy tv's often at all, so..fine, now we have a bigger, nicer tv in the school/play room (the other one WAS many many years old) and the one that was there is now going to be the DAKboard. 

I did put my foot down a few months ago, when he wanted to upgrade the one downstairs because of some sale or other. He kept listing all the ways it was better, and I kept saying, "Oh, so we can watch Daniel Tiger in surround sound?" "Oh, so we can see Doc McStuffins in even greater definition?", reminding him that the TV downstairs is only ever used by DD5, lol. I am not paying for features that will not be appreciated by a 5 yr old!

So instead he got me a nicer TV for the bedroom for Mother's Day. Which I DO appreciate, because my eyesight is bad enough that I was struggling to read the descriptions on videos when scrolling through when we had the small one in there. Plus, he put it on a mount that lets me rotate and tilt it toward my yoga area in the bedroom, so I can do my yoga workouts more easily. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

And my DH and I have had about 3 fights now about the technology, which calendar is syncing to what, and the evils of Google. I'm not lying. I had not realized he refused to use anything that even syncs to google, and well, it devolved from there. 

Now it won't let us log back in. Specifically, it won't let us log into the account he created. See, I already created a free account, to play around, but after he set up the machine he set up an account that came with 3 months free of the paid level plan. But when I tried to log in to that one it said I had the wrong user/password. He was still logged in, and thought maybe he copied it wrong, so changed the password, still wouldn't work. then he logged out, then tried to log back in, and can't. 

Now we are both angry. 

i just suggested, after he reset the password multiple times via email (after first having to change the spam filter on the new email distribution list he created from a new domain he purchased....)that maybe the password is right, but he had the username wrong?

Yup. that was it. 

he was using his email instead of the user name. 

Edited by ktgrok

In other words - if you do this EITHER the tech professional should set it up as a surprise and present it as a done deal, OR the non tech person play with it, but not do this together. Not if they want to stay married. Cause ya'll, it's ugly. I don't care if google knows that he is taking the kids to the beach, or has a doctor's appt, and he doesn't care what it looks like. sigh. 

And..using the website for artful agenda doesn't work anyway, it shows up on the computer, but not the actual screen. so using the calendar widget thing in dakboard anyway, which means that whole argument was pointless. Still don't see how on earth he'd do the stuff he wants to do without me having it in my google calendar so I can see it on my phone, etc...

But it looks pretty now. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I don't care if google knows that he is taking the kids to the beach, or has a doctor's appt,  

This is me, lol. 

How is the Dakboard better or different than just casting or docking your laptop to the big screen? 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

This is me, lol. 

How is the Dakboard better or different than just casting or docking your laptop to the big screen? 

Because it is always up there. You can also have various widgets - scrolling news headlines, weather, etc etc that are up all the time. Vs walking over and docking or casting lap top.