Menu

Article about cheating - something that high schoolers and college students should know about

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

Having a reader for folks with a similar issue would work too and conserve energy. He big testing companies, however, from which many districts take their cues, generally allow one major  accommodation. Time, or reader/scribe, or adaptive technology. Not all of the above or any combo thereof.

NZ allows 2 of the 3. My ds has extra time, a writer, or a computer. For each test, he can pick the 2 he wants. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, regentrude said:

Some of the students also receive a scribe, but that is rare.

Reader-writers + 10 minutes per hour is the standard accommodation here. The idea is that you are working within the same time conditions as other students, you just need someone to read and/or write for you and the 10 minutes per hour is just to allow for interaction with the reader-writer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lewelma said:

Reader-writers + 10 minutes per hour is the standard accommodation here. The idea is that you are working within the same time conditions as other students, you just need someone to read and/or write for you and the 10 minutes per hour is just to allow for interaction with the reader-writer.

I am wondering how this helps folks with ADHD? I believe that is one of the most common diagnoses (profs aren't informed about the diagnosis,  but students will often self-disclose). Also, is extremely low processing speed not considered a disability in NZ? Wouldn't these have to be accommodated by more time? Just wondering. I understand that there are issues with any setup...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, regentrude said:

I am wondering how this helps folks with ADHD? I believe that is one of the most common diagnoses (profs aren't informed about the diagnosis,  but students will often self-disclose). Also, is extremely low processing speed not considered a disability in NZ? Wouldn't these have to be accommodated by more time? Just wondering. I understand that there are issues with any setup...

NZ is pretty nuanced with what it offers, so I'm sure there are people with time and a half that I don't know about. But the kid I've worked with who had ADHD did well on his exams with a reader-writer. Perhaps that person kept him on track, I don't know. As for slow processing speed, I assume it would depend on the percentile score. I had a student with documented slow processing speed, and she got only 10 minutes per hour, so perhaps hers was not extreme slow processing speed. 

However, exams here don't seem to be as time pressured as the ones that have been discussed on this thread. That is how the accommodations stuff came up in a thread about cheating. My ds's 3 hour statistics exam (open book, no proctoring, on-line) took most kids 2 to 2.5 hours. Maybe there is less of a cheating problem here, because my ds did not know a single person who cheated.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Not high schoolers, but relevant. 😞

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/business/ernst-and-young-sec-cheating-fine/index.html

Ernst & Young has been slapped with a record $100 million fine from the US government after regulators discovered that the company knew some of its auditors were cheating on exams for several years and did nothing to stop it.

And better still, most of the cheating was associated with an ethics exam.