Menu

Religious Content in CAP

KaceeM

How would you classify the religious content in Classical Academia Press materials? Specifically Latin, Spanish, Writing and Rhetoric, and Grammar. We are of mixed faiths and races and are trying to find the best mix of material. I am firmly against using Abeka, Veritas  Press, Apologia and other curriculums of the ilk. CAP materials look fairly neutral though and I like the setup of them. 

There’s more of it in Writing and Rhetoric I would say than in the other programs. Mostly, though, it is fairly…literary? Like quoting the Proverbs, using some of the New Testament parables as narrative, etc. And later in that series there’s general discussion of broad vices and virtues (such as writing a commonplace essay “against boasters” or “for heroes”). I don’t remember there being much in the Latin books. 

• Like 2

Well, definitely avoid their logic materials, which are super religious. Spanish for Children seemed to be pretty free from anything other than occasional references to religious life. W&R has a bit more, but it's not very instructive from what I've seen - more assuming the audience is Christian and including some Biblical stuff, but could be read in the Bible as literature vein. People who want clearly secular materials aren't going to be comfortable with it at all, but people who just don't want proselytizing may be okay with it.

• Like 1

I've used all levels of W&R and while it does have a religious tone its not a preachy tone. I didn't mind it, and I highly recommend it as a writing program!  Most of it is literary, proverbs, assuming Christian principles when discussing behavior. 

I also used Argument Builder- I'd say its much more religious,  but I still used it.  It assumes a YEC point on view.  

• Like 1