Menu

Booster for 5-11s

Hilltopmom

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-advisory-panel-green-lights-booster-shots-children/story?id=84832999&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&fbclid=IwAR0KNim-6jVYxBBHKgX3xaHs7Dz4lgEYRenRjpW37BLBUxybJsghR8BVDuY

My younger kids go to school but school will be out at the end of June. Our cases are high here now though. Boost now? My PANS & ASD kid has not had covid yet but other one did in December in between doses.

Boost now to make it to end of year?

Will boost again in fall but school starts in Sept and won’t be eligible again till October- right? So won’t be protected Sept- Oct.

Added to clarify: (Oct at the earliest- if they’re approved for another fall booster, I meant)

Edited by Hilltopmom

1 hour ago, Hilltopmom said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-advisory-panel-green-lights-booster-shots-children/story?id=84832999&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&fbclid=IwAR0KNim-6jVYxBBHKgX3xaHs7Dz4lgEYRenRjpW37BLBUxybJsghR8BVDuY

My younger kids go to school but school will be out at the end of June. Our cases are high here now though. Boost now? My PANS & ASD kid has not had covid yet but other one did in December in between doses.

Boost now to make it to end of year?

Will boost again in fall but school starts in Sept and won’t be eligible again till October- right? So won’t be protected Sept- Oct.

Why do you assume he will be eligible again in October?  They haven’t approved 4th doses for adults under 50 yet, so I don’t think we can assume they will for kids.

I think I would do the booster if my kid wasn’t so close to 12.  Because he is, I think I am going to wait so he can get a full dose for his third shot.  

• Like 3

I’m working through the same decision. Cases are so high right now, but exposure will be much higher for my kids in Fall than it is now, and I don’t expect they can have it both now and fall. I might wait a little longer to see if it looks like Fall will have the bivalent shot available. If my kid was in school or other high exposure activities, I expect I would do it now. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on your family's risk factors. If you are concerned about vulnerable people and they are still in school until end of June, I would definitely get it now. If getting a case of this variant at this time is an acceptable risk to you now, I would wait until fall. But based on how contagious this one is and how rapidly it spreads, I would assume that your kids will be exposed a lot in the next month.

6 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Why do you assume he will be eligible again in October?  They haven’t approved 4th doses for adults under 50 yet, so I don’t think we can assume they will for kids.

I think I would do the booster if my kid wasn’t so close to 12.  Because he is, I think I am going to wait so he can get a full dose for his third shot.  

Oh good point. I guess I was just thinking that Oct would be the earliest they would be eligible again if there’s a fall booster. 
But they’d be exposed a lot in the fall too… and then they’ll be a long way out from a June 1st booster…

We had a school assembly today (my kids go to my building). Full gym of parents and kids getting awards (not the whole school, but about 5 kids from each classroom)- only 3 parents wearing masks. I was only teacher in a mask. 😞 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Sad 1

I'm definitely getting one now for my 9 year old. I've been pretty bummed about how ineffective the original 2 doses have been for 5-11s (he has not had covid as far as I know, though--not sure if I'd feel differently if he'd had a recent case)