Menu

Missing economics and physics from high school transcript? Okay? Not okay?

We are finalizing classes for 12th grade.

My daughter has taken the following dual credit classes: Spanish 1 and 2, psychology, government, and archeology.

She has taken the following sciences at home: biology, astronomy, chemistry.

Next year she wants to take the following:

English and World History at co-op

Algebra, Geology, Environmental Science, Texas History dual credit at our local community college.

She will have 4 years of English, speech, art appreciation, 4 math, American history, geography, modern world history, world history.

Do we need a normal physics and economics class in there somewhere? She wants to major in English.

Edited by staceyobu

I think it depends on your child’s choice of major.  My older kids didn’t have economics but did have physics.  They majored in Computer Science and Engineering.  My youngest has economics but no physics.  He wants to major in something that leads to designing role playing games.

My older kids needed physics.  My youngest needed economics.  It really depends on the kid and the intended goal.

Really, it depends on the major, but also on what the university she is applying to requires for admission. And if the school is somewhat flexible about their required credits for admission.

Many schools are very flexible about which sciences you do (esp. if NOT going into a STEM field), just so long as they have labs.

And Economics is a Social Sciences course, and that is a subject area that many colleges are quite flexible about (other than wanting 1.0 credit of American History).

3 hours ago, staceyobu said:

... Next year she wants to take the following:
English and World History at co-op
Algebra 1, Geology, Environmental Science, Texas History dual credit at our local community college...

ETA: Just noting you list she will be taking Algebra 1, but will have 4 math credits -- do you mean Algebra 2??

Because if she is just now doing Algebra 1 as a 12th grader, that may be very problematic for being accepted into a university -- most require at least getting through Algebra 2, if not a math higher than Algebra 2, as part of the required credits for admission...

EDITED (to reflect @staceyobu's following post):

So, it looks like this is her total credit list:
4 credits = English
4 credits = Math (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, College Algebra)
5 credits = Science (Biology, Astronomy, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geology)
8 credits = Social Studies -- esp. the last 3 make great "Academic Electives"
(American History, Modern World History, World History, Government, Geography, Psychology, Archeology, Texas History)
2 credits = For. Lang.: Spanish
1 credit = Fine Arts: Art Appreciation
3 credits = Electives: Speech, Bible
27 credits = total

Assuming a typo re: the Math, and she will have Math up through Algebra 2 at LEAST for college entrance, that looks good. 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

ETA: Just noting you list she will be taking Algebra 1, but will have 4 math credits -- do you mean Algebra 2??

Because if she is just now doing Algebra 1 as a 12th grader, that may be very problematic for being accepted into a university -- most require at least getting through Algebra 2, if not a math higher than Algebra 2, as part of the required credits for admission...

So, it looks like this is her total credit list:
4 credits = English
4 credits = Math (Algebra 1 ??)
5 credits = Science (Biology, Astronomy, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geology)
9 credits = Social Studies -- 6 of those could count as great "Academic Electives"
(Psychology, Government, Archeology, Geology, Texas History, American History, Modern World History, World History, Geography)
2 credits = For. Lang.: Spanish
1 credit = Fine Arts: Art Appreciation
1 (?) credit = Elective: Speech
26 credits = total

Assuming a typo and she will have Math up through Algebra 2 at LEAST for college entrance, that looks good. 

Sorry… should say college algebra. She’ll have algebra 1 and 2, geometry, and college algebra. 

She also has two years of Bible. I’m trying to think if I’m forgetting anything else. 

Edited by staceyobu
  • Like 1

Seeing the high # of DE courses she has completed, and that she has well above the usual total amounts of credits for Science and Social Studies, plus considering she is heading for an English major -- I can't imagine any college rejecting her for not having Physics and/or Economics.

(But of course, there's probably some crazy "stickler" out there -- but if that's the case, she most likely wouldn't enjoy going to that school anyways. 😉 )

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I'm not really aware of any schools that specifically require econ for admission. It's not a graduation requirement in most states. 

I am aware of a lot of schools that require and expect physics for a STEM major or a design major. And a lot of schools really really like to see it on the transcript. But then again, not having it isn't terribly uncommon. 

The key questions are what sort of schools is she applying to and what majors?

• Like 1