Menu

Latin 1 question

My daughter did most of Second Form Latin in 9th grade...she finished 3/4 of the book, but the drill and methodology was killing her love of latin.  When we stopped, she had an 85% overall in the course. She won't finish it - dad actually put his foot down and said she had to quit that and start with something else. 

We are going to switch to Cambridge latin for 10th grade. I am going to have her start from the beginning, with the plan of doing unit 1 and 2 in a year.

For her transcript, would you just ignore Second Form Latin and make Cambridge latin count as Latin 1? Or would you count Second Form Latin as Latin 1 and Cambridge as Latin 2? 

I am not familiar with either product, but ironically I can say that one of my kids' complaints about the Latin we did (Latin Alive) was that there wasn't enough review built in.  I know some people like the more immersive programs for this reason (where you learn by reading a passage versus just memorizing words out of context). I hope you can get some input on this. 

I am tempted to say that I would see if you can power through the repeated material, just making sure she has it down, so that you can move to the new stuff, but I have no idea what the scope and sequence is of the two programs or how they compare.  I found this blog where she talks about using both second form and Cambridge because she feels that Cambridge is weaker on the grammar but has the fun stories.  It sounds like she took two years to get through second form though, and I wouldn't have wanted that unless I could get credit for both years.  https://mercyformarthas.com/2017/07/03/for-the-love-of-latin/

I hope someone with experience with Cambridge will comment.

I have Cambridge 1 and 2.  Given that they are usually combined for a Latin 1 course, that's what I would call it.  I look at it this way, I wouldn't use Saxon Algebra 1 and then Jacob's Elementary Algebra and call Jacob's Algebra 2.  Cambridge starts right back at the beginning.  It's fun, and I hope you guys have a great year with it. 🙂  I would just call it a redo year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

I have Cambridge 1 and 2.  Given that they are usually combined for a Latin 1 course, that's what I would call it.  I look at it this way, I wouldn't use Saxon Algebra 1 and then Jacob's Elementary Algebra and call Jacob's Algebra 2.  Cambridge starts right back at the beginning.  It's fun, and I hope you guys have a great year with it. 🙂  I would just call it a redo year.

That's what I needed to know, thanks for the clarification!