Menu

Book rec (think Louis L'Amour)?

BakersDozen

I have read through all of L'Amour's books many times over the last 35 years. Now that I'm on the last book (again) I want to find something similar as far a content. An on-line search yielded a recommendation which will be the first book I've ever started and been unable to finish. I can't even get past the third chapter, in fact, it's just that bad (The Last Crossing). Does anyone have suggestions for me??

I've also unfortunately  never read L'Amour's books. I am now reading classical fiction and started reading the gorgeous book The Crucible, about which I found these very useful articles. Arthur Miller's fascinating play The Crucible of 1693 and 1694 dealt with the Salem Witches trials. Thanks to this play, we see how powerless people have become powerful. I recommend you read this book.

Edited by Houston Turner

Michael McGarrity has 2 series set in New Mexico.  They are interrelated, but one is a modern cop mystery series with a soutwest flavor, while the other tells the backstory of the family of the main detective.  They were ranchers in NM.  I read the mystery series but got the other one for my dad, who loved it.  It's on my list but it's a bulky book and right now I'm mostly reading from my kindle in between other things.