Menu

CAP The Curious Historian

Green Bean

One alternative to SOTW I found was the middle school history series by Master Books.  It is written in a conversational tone, and I am not a huge fan of Master Books these days....  But there are beautiful images.  I think for elementary school/middle school it's fine---if you want something with color.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I’m considering it for my autistic son who is around 4th grade. He refuses to even look at SOTW, unfortunately. But I want him to have more than what MP provides.

I will check put that thread, thank you.

I don't know anything about MP. Here is what I've done/plan to do with my 5th grade autistic boy who likes traditional curricula.

1st: Our Star Spangled Story (Notgrass)
2nd-5th: SOTW
6th: Uncle Sam and You (Notgrass)
7th-11th: HOTW
12th: Govt. Econ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

Adding- their new plan says it will have 3 levels. You have to scroll down a bit.

https://classicalacademicpress.com/pages/subject-history

I think my hesitation was it that it is still not all on the market.  I know SOTW is well-loved, but I've decided there are certain subjects I really want color.  I think that could be the allure of this new series, and that is why the Master Book appeals to me, even if it is for middle school.  I haven't made any decisions for next year, though.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dauntless dandelion said:

I actually really like the Curious Historian a lot. I'm using it with my second grader, though, so I don't make her do any of the worksheets. We just read through it together and pair it with other books, mostly retellings of myths.

Do you think it would lend itself well to a discussion based curriculum? Do you think it gets you thinking deeper as it advertises? Is there any geography, or much in the way of government or economics?

I think CAP TCH is kinda a schooly version-ish for schools who can’t use SOTW. As someone up thread said, we aren’t CAP’s main market- we are a happy afterthought. I think it makes a nice alternative to say BJU for some of us who need that for different reasons.

Regarding it not being- complete- it’s a first pass for young kids. I’m good with not covering EVERY nitty gritty bit of history young.

I agree with Ting that not having it finished- and it is going to be a good long while until it is- is a hinderance. But Math With Confidence isn’t done yet many of us are using it.

I may try it after my guy finishes Famous Men.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 1

I am planning to use CAP Curious Historian for my youngest, but it will not be for a few years.  I'm really looking forward to it!   I really like the look of the Master Books World's Story, also, but they have a picture and caption praising iconoclasm (in their sample) which was a heresy condemned at the 7th Ecumenical Council at Nicea.  Most textbooks seems to be respectful of most world religions, though, with the exception of traditional Christianity so this is common. CAP treats Orthodox Christianity with respect, however, so I am grateful to have a good option out there, even if it is not perfect!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nwahomeschoolmom said:

I am planning to use CAP Curious Historian for my youngest, but it will not be for a few years.  I'm really looking forward to it!   I really like the look of the Master Books World's Story, also, but they have a picture and caption praising iconoclasm (in their sample) which was a heresy condemned at the 7th Ecumenical Council at Nicea.  Most textbooks seems to be respectful of most world religions, though, with the exception of traditional Christianity so this is common. CAP treats Orthodox Christianity with respect, however, so I am grateful to have a good option out there, even if it is not perfect!

I just went back and looked at the sample, but the caption I read said it was a dispute; I didn't interpret it as a praise at all.  But maybe you saw something further or are interpreting it differently?  My concern is that I am placing a great trust in these publishers to turn out material that is respectful of others' religions and beliefs.  I do know that Master Books puts out statements on The Good and the Beautiful on their Facebook page.  I don't really find that appropriate, so if there are other red flags, I'd love to know.  Honestly, we just really like the appearance.  So much of what I look at doesn't appeal to me or my kids, even if the content is good, because of layouts, lack of color, etc.  So I want to have something that does for at least one or two of our subjects.  But I'll keep searching if need be.

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, Ting Tang said:

I just went back and looked at the sample, but the caption I read said it was a dispute; I didn't interpret it as a praise at all.  But maybe you saw something further or are interpreting it differently?  My concern is that I am placing a great trust in these publishers to turn out material that is respectful of others' religions and beliefs.  I do know that Master Books puts out statements on The Good and the Beautiful on their Facebook page.  I don't really find that appropriate, so if there are other red flags, I'd love to know.  Honestly, we just really like the appearance.  So much of what I look at doesn't appeal to me or my kids, even if the content is good, because of layouts, lack of color, etc.  So I want to have something that does for at least one or two of our subjects.  But I'll keep searching if need be.

Try Mystery of History. Also, about SOTW, we use the audiobooks in the car or color pictures from the activity book at the same time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Thank you. MOH regards my religion as a cult so it's a big no.

I have read this about so many Protestant curriculums. My husband is Catholic, so I want to be careful. TAN books has a series, but I don’t know too much about it. Their science was once intriguing to me, and I’ll have to revisit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Bean said:

OUP series books are too expensive for us. Also, he needs a wkbk of some kind to go with a text. This is not the child I can say write me a summary or choose an event/person to learn more about.

Almost all of the volumes are available used on Amazon for less than $10. That is how I bought them.

But, no, there is no workbook. I have always just read history out loud to my kids during lunch. I never had them write summaries, we just discussed whatever we found interesting as we read.

• Like 1