Menu

Learning Language Arts Through Literature - is this a complete language arts program?

Ting Tang

LLATL covers reading, writing, spelling and grammar. 

The year I attempted to use it (4th grade), I found it to be extremely "lite" overall, and the other big problem for us was that all of those LA components were either above or below the actual working level of my student. However, that second issue I think that is true of most "all in one" LA programs when it comes to students under age 10 or so, because every student differs widely in working level in those early elementary grades. It's very difficult for 1 program to hit the mark in multiple LA areas for the majority of students.

As for the first problem ("lite"), that could probably be addressed by using a number of supplements for each LA area -- but, that probably defeats the purpose of an all-in-one program, if looking for streamlining of the LA. 😉 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

LLATL covers reading, writing, spelling and grammar. 

The year I attempted to use it (4th grade), I found it to be extremely "lite" overall, and the other big problem for us was that all of those LA components were either above or below the actual working level of my student. However, that second issue I think that is true of most "all in one" LA programs when it comes to students under age 10 or so, because every student differs widely in working level in those early elementary grades. It's very difficult for 1 program to hit the mark in multiple LA areas for the majority of students.

As for the first problem ("lite"), that could probably be addressed by using a number of supplements for each LA area -- but, that probably defeats the purpose of an all-in-one program, if looking for streamlining of the LA. 😉 

Thank you! I wondered if it was lighter, just looking at the reading lists. I sold our 2nd Abeka materials thinking she’d use Memoria Press, but now I’m not sure if that. I might have to rebuy it. 

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you! I wondered if it was lighter, just looking at the reading lists. I sold our 2nd Abeka materials thinking she’d use Memoria Press, but now I’m not sure if that. I might have to rebuy it. 

Another option might be to go with a few solid programs, one for each core LA arts area you plan to cover with her. That would probably run less than Memoria Press, or re-buying Abeka.

I don't know your student to know what her needs are, but the typical 2nd grader would be covering:
- reading -- books to improve fluency and stamina
- spelling/phonics -- some students work well with workbooks for these areas
- and handwriting/penmanship -- which can be designed at home without need of a program

Grammar and Writing can be individual programs as well, but either or both of those areas can be totally optional at grade 2. (Many people do not start Grammar until 3rd, 4th, or even 5th grade, and Writing instruction and assignments can absolutely wait until 3rd grade, when the student has a stronger handle on Spelling.)

If you would at all like to consider going "a la carte" for the LA areas, if you can describe your student's working level, needs, and preferences, and your goals, for each LA area, I'm sure people here can recommend individual programs that would be a good fit. 😄 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

You could look at TGTB. The new edition isn’t being released until July but if you look on their youtube channel, there is a flip through.

Other all in ones:

CLE- Reading is separate 

McRuffy- good, fun, a bit advanced

English Lessons Through Lit by barefoot meandering- kinda different.

Blossom and Root- different horse altogether to consider

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Another option might be to go with a few solid programs, one for each core LA arts area you plan to cover with her. That would probably run less than Memoria Press, or re-buying Abeka.

I don't know your student to know what her needs are, but the typical 2nd grader would be covering:
- reading -- books to improve fluency and stamina
- spelling/phonics -- some students work well with workbooks for these areas
- and handwriting/penmanship -- which can be designed at home without need of a program

Grammar and Writing can be individual programs as well, but either or both of those areas can be totally optional at grade 2. (Many people do not start Grammar until 3rd, 4th, or even 5th grade, and Writing instruction and assignments can absolutely wait until 3rd grade, when the student has a stronger handle on Spelling.)

If you would at all like to consider going "a la carte" for the LA areas, if you can describe your student's working level, needs, and preferences, and your goals, for each LA area, I'm sure people here can recommend individual programs that would be a good fit. 😄 

She's a very strong, intuitive reader.  Abeka seems quite rigorous and already has them working on creative writing, which I don't really find developmentally appropriate. However, since she is willing, we just go along with it.  She has nice cursive handwriting for her age and has learned a wee bit of grammar.  That's why I don't want something too light and go backwards.

2 hours ago, Green Bean said:

You could look at TGTB. The new edition isn’t being released until July but if you look on their youtube channel, there is a flip through.

Other all in ones:

CLE- Reading is separate 

McRuffy- good, fun, a bit advanced

English Lessons Through Lit by barefoot meandering- kinda different.

Blossom and Root- different horse altogether to consider

I have definitely considered the TGTB for her for the interim. I am not sure if we would stick with it, but it might be a good affordable option for the interim. I will have to check out the other programs. I haven't heard of McRuffy.

Thank you both!

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 7:56 PM, Ting Tang said:

She's a very strong, intuitive reader.  Abeka seems quite rigorous and already has them working on creative writing, which I don't really find developmentally appropriate. However, since she is willing, we just go along with it.  She has nice cursive handwriting for her age and has learned a wee bit of grammar.  That's why I don't want something too light and go backwards...

Gotcha.

Some individual programs that would fit a 2nd grader who is strong in LA, in no particular order for each LA area:

Reading
- a good book list for both readers (at her reading level that she reads independently) and read alouds (above her level that you read to her)
(for book ideas, check out booklists of various curriculum vendors such as Sonlight/Bookshark, Heart of Dakota, Build Your Library, etc.), or, look for other good book lists, such as 1000 Good Books, etc.)

Writing + Grammar
- Building Christian English (Rod & Staff publishers)
- Writing With Ease + First Language Lessons -- separate programs, but both from WTM Press
- McRuffy

Spelling
- Spelling by Sound & Structure (Rod & Staff publishers)
- Natural Speller
- Horizons 
- Spellwell
- Building Spelling Skills

Looking ahead to a future year, for an advanced or strong reader/writer for 3rd or 4th grade, I would recommend one of these programs that is Writing + Grammar:
Teaching Writing Through Guided Analysis (formerly called Treasured Conversations) (gr. 3-5)
- Writing Tales -- level 1 (gr. 3-4), level 2 (gr. 4-5)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

We used it for one year.  It was fine, but we really struggled with the format of the workbook.  There were daily lessons as well as specific literature based book studies in late elementary.  The book studies may have well have been written on the back of toilet paper for all the good they were.  They were not well set up at all, so even though ds read all the books, we ended up skipping the work because they weren't planned properly, just kind of a chunk all together with vague activities after the comprehension questions.  We found that if we wanted well planned work for him, Writing Tales was better, and if we wanted literature based work, Moving Beyond The Page filled that need.  That's the mindset I went into with youngest ds until he decided he preferred English Lessons Through Literature.

• Like 1

Even though I like and use LLATL (especially the older grades), I would say it's light if you are trying to cover grammar, writing and spelling with it. It does include all of those things along with the book studies, but I have my kids do additional spelling and writing alongside it. We don't do the book studies (I prefer just reading books in elementary). The grammar is also lighter coverage than a lot of other programs, but I am mostly okay with that. All that said, I still really like it, I just add to it, which is easy to do because the daily lessons are short.

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the great curriculum ideas and information about this program.  I have definitely considered TGTB and R&S for her but will need to take a closer look at the others.  Part of me wonders if I should just suck it up and buy the next level of Abeka again.  lol  I know it is a good program for someone who started out with it.  It didn't work for my son because he needed more help with reading, having come from 1st grade public school during the lockdown.  I've started to also look at MCT primary level with the cute characters, but there is no writing.  I think I drive myself nuts trying to piece things together for all the kids, lol.

This is my first year using it and I actually love LLATL!  My daughter is 5th grade and using the purple book--pretty sure that's "on-level" for her.  

We skip the book studies b/c she has already read those and I don't beat dead horses.  The workbook format has been fabulous for me. It's SO easy to teach.  We don't do every single activity.  I find it to be supremely user-friendly, which I need at this point in my life! I am really, really happy with it.  It has been a nice way to bridge our lower elementary school years (in which language arts is very light, and limited to LOTS of reading, some handwriting, and some oral narration) and the middle school years, with a nice gentle approach to grammar for this girl who is probably not developmentally ready for the grammar her brother was tackling at the same age. I seriously considered using it for next year because I do like it so much and feel like it is a "just right" approach for language arts for this age, but life circumstances are moving me in the direction of Less of Me, and so I've signed her up for an online class instead, which I really hope will be a good choice.  However, if I weren't juggling living in two states and a father with a serious illness, I would definitely do LLATL next year again before transitioning into something else in 7th or 8th-ish grade.  But one of my own educational philosophies is Don't Burn 'Em Out, with Keep It Simple a close second, so a "lite" LA curriculum is probably up my alley! 😉 Everyone is different. 

Anyhow! I've loved it! 

• Like 1