Menu

Zaner bloser vs tgatb handwriting

51 minutes ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

we started with HWT but I don't like that there isn't a top line. I like the strokes of HWT though. Which would you go with,  ZB or TGATB?

Print Path uses similar strokes and methods, but uses a top line. It was created by an occupational therapist, and is available to download on Teachers Pay Teachers. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

we started with HWT but I don't like that there isn't a top line. I like the strokes of HWT though. Which would you go with,  ZB or TGATB?

You've been given some feedback already, but I am going to chime in and say that I think that it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to change programs because of the lining on the pages, since you have the program and like the strokes of HWT.

You can print various ruled pages offline for free. You can also buy a pad of lined paper for your children to practice on from the dollar store. I strongly  encourage you to use HWT--you have it, you like it and have only (voiced) 1 problem with it.

After all, no program will be "perfect". I want to discourage you from jumping to something else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mathmarm said:

You've been given some feedback already, but I am going to chime in and say that I think that it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to change programs because of the lining on the pages, since you have the program and like the strokes of HWT.

You can print various ruled pages offline for free. You can also buy a pad of lined paper for your children to practice on from the dollar store. I strongly  encourage you to use HWT--you have it, you like it and have only (voiced) 1 problem with it.

After all, no program will be "perfect". I want to discourage you from jumping to something else.

Thanks for the feedback! I have been using a primary notebook for 3-lined practice. I only have the K student book for HWT, not the whole program, so I figured switching wouldn't put me out a lot but if they use different strokes maybe it'd just confuse dd and I would be better off sticking with HWT.

23 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

we started with HWT but I don't like that there isn't a top line.

Curious, did you find this to be a problem with your kids? We use HWT too, but we are still at a level where I'm not that concerned with neatness. (I'm concerned that they try and are focused, but I'm also OK when my son adds details like teeth and spines to his letters.)  

4 hours ago, Clarita said:

Curious, did you find this to be a problem with your kids? We use HWT too, but we are still at a level where I'm not that concerned with neatness. (I'm concerned that they try and are focused, but I'm also OK when my son adds details like teeth and spines to his letters.)  

My oldest dd is still in K and has only done K HWT workbook so I don't know if it would get better over time but when we use notebook paper, she's confused at where to start her letters and writes "tall" letters under the middle line at times. Since I'd like to move to copywork once she has letter formation down and most copywork is on 3-lined paper, it seems like it'd be more straight forward if we went to 3 lines now.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Clarita said:

My son does the same thing. It is so cute!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

My oldest dd is still in K and has only done K HWT workbook so I don't know if it would get better over time but when we use notebook paper, she's confused at where to start her letters and writes "tall" letters under the middle line at times. Since I'd like to move to copywork once she has letter formation down and most copywork is on 3-lined paper, it seems like it'd be more straight forward if we went to 3 lines now.

One thing I like on TGTB is the boxes that show a very defined area to write the letters.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:39 AM, Janeway said:

Print off the sample from TGTB and use it and see if you like it. I had a link to masters for Zaner-Bloser but cannot find them right now. 

Printed off the sample of TGTB today and she loved it! She chose to do the whole sample in one sitting. I think she liked that each page had a different little activity with it, not just letters. 

• Like 1