Menu

What to use after First Language Lessons 4?

WyattFam

Hello -- I used First Language Lessons Level 4 for my oldest this year and enjoyed it.  I assumed I would use the next level next year, only to find that it stops at Level 4.  What have you all moved to after Level 4?  I would like something similarly scripted and rigorous.  Thank you!

We found Grammar for the Well Trained Mind (GWTM) a bit difficult after lesson 41, so I'm probably going to be using Rod and Staff English 5 for my son when he finishes First Language Lessons 4.  We plan on doing GWTM probably around 7th-8th grade.  My daughter used GWTM in high school.

Here is a quote of what Susan Wise Bauer said about her curriculum in the link that Noreen shared:

Remember that this program is usable for grades 5 through 12, which means that your 5th grader and your 12th grader are not going to go at the same pace. As I look back through the books, I really sort of, I don’t know, figure maybe 8th grade as the first year, when I think a student might be able to complete the whole book over the course over the year, but that’s not gonna be all students. It’s gonna depend on their aptitude, the way they handle language, the way they learn, and how much they’ve had before. So, definitely, with 5th, 6th, and 7th graders, just take the idea of finishing the book off the table completely and adjust to your program.

• Like 1

We used GWTM starting in 5th grade, after finishing FLL 1-4. We've used the program like this:

5th grade: lessons #1-60 in the purple book.

6th grade: lessons #1-80, in the red book, then review lessons 61-77 in the purple book.

7th grade (this year): do reviews #1-3, then lessons #37-100(-ish) in the blue book, then review lessons 78-??(as far as we can) in the purple book.

8th grade (the plan): reviews #1-5, then 61-130 in the yellow book (if it's published by then). Then, throw a party!

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

We used GWTM starting in 5th grade, after finishing FLL 1-4. We've used the program like this:

5th grade: lessons #1-60 in the purple book.

6th grade: lessons #1-80, in the red book, then review lessons 61-77 in the purple book.

7th grade (this year): do reviews #1-3, then lessons #37-100(-ish) in the blue book, then review lessons 78-??(as far as we can) in the purple book.

8th grade (the plan): reviews #1-5, then 61-130 in the yellow book (if it's published by then). Then, throw a party!

I’m taking this down. I want to do GWTM and WWS, but I’m worried ds won’t be ready, but I can’t think of what else to do if I wait until he is older. Do you use WWS? If so, do you do something similar with WWS?

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

We do use WWS, but we didn't start until 6th grade. (We did WWE 1-3 over grades 2-4, and then used Killgallon for half of 5th.)

In 6th, for WWS1, we tried *very* hard to stay on the given schedule of the book, but we sometimes stretched a week's lesson out over two weeks. This year (7th), he's taking WWS2 through the WTMAcademy. While I'm glad that we have some outside validation/input on his writing, we both liked it better when we did it ourselves.

We plan on doing it ourselves next year. 

If I could go back, I would have broken up WWS1 over 5th & 6th grades, and then tried to keep to the schedule for WWS2 in 7th.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

We do use WWS, but we didn't start until 6th grade. (We did WWE 1-3 over grades 2-4, and then used Killgallon for half of 5th.)

In 6th, for WWS1, we tried *very* hard to stay on the given schedule of the book, but we sometimes stretched a week's lesson out over two weeks. This year (7th), he's taking WWS2 through the WTMAcademy. While I'm glad that we have some outside validation/input on his writing, we both liked it better when we did it ourselves.

We plan on doing it ourselves next year. 

If I could go back, I would have broken up WWS1 over 5th & 6th grades, and then tried to keep to the schedule for WWS2 in 7th.

Thanks for the information.  I'm wondering about altering the schedule for WWS 1 over 2 years.  Does it look like doing less lessons? Like if there are lessons 1, 2, 3 and 4 scheduled for week 1.  Do you just do lessons 1 and 2 on week 1 and then lessons 3 and 4 on week 2?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

We plan on doing it ourselves nextyear. 

If I could go back, I would have brosken up WWS1 over 5th & 6th grades, and then tried to keep to the schedule for WWS2 in 7th.

Also, I see you skipped WWE 4, but did FLL 4.  How would ideally schedule this? What writing would you pair with the year you do FLL4.  For my 2nd son, we did FLL 1 and WWE 1 for 2nd grade.  We are doing FLL 2 and WWE 2 for 3rd grade.  We plan on FLL 3 and WWE 3 for 4th grade, but then what for writing in 5th when we do FLL 4.  

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Also, I see you skipped WWE 4, but did FLL 4.  How would ideally schedule this? What writing would you pair with the year you do FLL4.  For my 2nd son, we did FLL 1 and WWE 1 for 2nd grade.  We are doing FLL 2 and WWE 2 for 3rd grade.  We plan on FLL 3 and WWE 3 for 4th grade, but then what for writing in 5th when we do FLL 4.  

I'm currently doing WWE4 with DS9. I'm modifying it a lot, as the dictation passages are very long/complicated. It can be done, but it's not *needed*. SWB has a PDF on writing programs to use...

WWEandWWSexplanation.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks for the information.  I'm wondering about altering the schedule for WWS 1 over 2 years.  Does it look like doing less lessons? Like if there are lessons 1, 2, 3 and 4 scheduled for week 1.  Do you just do lessons 1 and 2 on week 1 and then lessons 3 and 4 on week 2?

Some days the lessons are quick, and sometimes the lessons really do take two days. You could schedule 2-3 days a week for writing, and just take your time!

• Thanks 1