Menu

History spine

Hi ladies! 
I have used a literature rich history curriculum the entire time I’ve homeschooled. Next year I’m choosing something for a 9th and 6th grader and would love to do most of it together, knowing that the 9th grader will add a bit more. We’re kind of weary of reading aloud and I think my oldest, especially, could use a textbook or some sort of spine that drives us with just a few readers and projects as we desire. Does anyone know of a good text/spine? I think I’d like to do an overview of world history. Not a deep dive this year. 
Not Guerber, Foster, Mystery of History. 
thanks for any suggestions you might have! 

K12’s Human Odyssey would work for your 9th grader. Three volume hardback available used on Amazon for about $7 each. Nice narrative text, good art and layout. Very readable. Not Christian, but no aggressive liberal slant either, if I am remembering correctly. We paired it with some biographies, nonfiction library books, and lit selections and it worked well. 

Another choice that might work for you might be Dave Raymond’s Modernity, but it has a video element. We counted that as a world history credit. My student added some lit to the selections in the Reader, which were good and varied. My student detests projects, so we skipped them, but we did use several of the writing assignments.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, ScoutTN said:

K12’s Human Odyssey would work for your 9th grader. Three volume hardback available used on Amazon for about $7 each. Nice narrative text, good art and layout. Very readable. Not Christian, but no aggressive liberal slant either, if I am remembering correctly. We paired it with some biographies, nonfiction library books, and lit selections and it worked well. 

Just to note that if you get K12's World History Our Human Story it is basically the content of all three volumes in one, as I understand it.

• Thanks 2