Menu

Cat - med question?

gardenmom5

Kitty has licked himself red on his abdomen - he is not raw.  He does have a cut - and I think that's why he has been licking.  (he seems to be peeing fine. - and he is quite communicative when he wants food, play or to go outside.  And - he's being very curious and into things. - not behavior i'd associate with a sick cat.)  He's been going back outside this week - very demanding - though it's been below freezing here.

there's also a bald patch on top of the middle of his tail - that is new and I only noticed it this evening. Considering how often he sticks his tail in my face, I think it would have noticed it if it had been there before.

I will try to get him into a vet tomorrow - but I'm not taking him to an emergency vet hospital, and I don't know about mine.  I won't be home - but I can have 2ds take him.

what kind of cream can I put on his skin?  And the cut?

The most important thing is to keep him from licking, with a cone or a shirt.

You *can* use neosporin on a cat's cut if you have a way to keep the cat from licking it - but if you think you ought to use antibiotics on the cut then you really ought to just go to the vet now. If it's not bad enough that it needs vet care now, it's probably not bad enough to use human antibiotics on it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

The most important thing is to keep him from licking, with a cone or a shirt.

You *can* use neosporin on a cat's cut if you have a way to keep the cat from licking it - but if you think you ought to use antibiotics on the cut then you really ought to just go to the vet now. If it's not bad enough that it needs vet care now, it's probably not bad enough to use human antibiotics on it.

ah yes - cone of shame.  I do have one . . . . 

We have had very good success with medical grade honey for a couple nasty wounds our dog had. It worked a lot better for us than neosporin did (I thought the vet would think I was kooky for using it, but felt vindicated when discovering it's commonly used by the vets on a couple of the Disney chanel vet shows 😂).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KSera said:

We have had very good success with medical grade honey for a couple nasty wounds our dog had. It worked a lot better for us than neosporin did (I thought the vet would think I was kooky for using it, but felt vindicated when discovering it's commonly used by the vets on a couple of the Disney chanel vet shows 😂).

where do you get medical grade honey?  does this differ from raw unfiltered honey?  (I have heard that raw honey can have antimicrobial properties.)

I shouldn't even be awake right now but . . . 

Most stores aren't open yet, and I have to leave in a few hours for a funeral and will be gone well into the afternoon here.

Edited by gardenmom5

Definitely do the cone, and neosporin. I've avoided many vet visits that way. You can buy soft cones on Amazon, those come in really handy. I have this one and it's awesome! Even if it flips down, the cat still can't reach anything to lick. 

https://www.amazon.com/SunGrow-Recovery-Comfortable-Surgery-Circumference/dp/B01M9I7NGK/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2QP3C5PX28QCI&keywords=soft+cone+cat&qid=1645887562&sprefix=soft+cone+cat%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-10

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kanin said:

Definitely do the cone, and neosporin. I've avoided many vet visits that way. You can buy soft cones on Amazon, those come in really handy. I have this one and it's awesome! Even if it flips down, the cat still can't reach anything to lick. 

https://www.amazon.com/SunGrow-Recovery-Comfortable-Surgery-Circumference/dp/B01M9I7NGK/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2QP3C5PX28QCI&keywords=soft+cone+cat&qid=1645887562&sprefix=soft+cone+cat%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-10

Ah, reading the reviews I'm remembering that I took a collar and sewed it to the cone. Otherwise the cat could slip out of the collar.  You will also need to make sure the litterbox is easily accessible with a big cone on 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

Looks so much easier than the collar I have - some plastic thing that hasn't been used in a year when he was neutered. . . and I can't adjust it for size - because it's a cheap collar. . . . grrrrr!

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

Ah, reading the reviews I'm remembering that I took a collar and sewed it to the cone. Otherwise the cat could slip out of the collar.  You will also need to make sure the litterbox is easily accessible with a big cone on 🙂 

yeah - I was thinking of that.  one of the litter boxes has a "house" on it to keep the dogs out (wow, oh boy, that sure smells interesting . . . blech.  gross - dogs!)  but I can take the house off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Looks so much easier than the collar I have - some plastic thing that hasn't been used in a year when he was neutered. . . and I can't adjust it for size - because it's a cheap collar. . . . grrrrr!

yeah - I was thinking of that.  one of the litter boxes has a "house" on it to keep the dogs out (wow, oh boy, that sure smells interesting . . . blech.  gross - dogs!)  but I can take the house off.

If you do order a soft cone, I'd order two, because they do tend to get gross sometimes (wet cat food, litterbox, etc). That way you have one to put on while you wash the other one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

where do you get medical grade honey?  does this differ from raw unfiltered honey?  (I have heard that raw honey can have antimicrobial properties.)

I shouldn't even be awake right now but . . . 

Most stores aren't open yet, and I have to leave in a few hours for a funeral and will be gone well into the afternoon here.

I bought it on Amazon, but it’s possible it would be in stores:

Medihoney on Amazon