Menu

Thinking to switch to a different math program- Need your advice

I have three kids using Derek Owens for Honors Algebra and Geometry. 

Two of them really struggle with getting math done well everyday. They work on math 4-5 days a week, but they struggle to get the recommended amount done and they are falling behind. It is taking my son to finish his Algebra more than a year! He's been at it for 13 months now.

Is there a good math company/program that is strong but is online either asynchronously or live meet times? They need to have accountability. 

There might be more than one issue at play here with the 13 months for Algebra.

There really are a lot of threads on here about Algebra--it's foundational to all the other math. 

My youngest spent 15 months on Algebra I which I did think was pokey, but he did get it down. That was working with me on the math.  The other side of that is that this is part of how we figured out he has a processing issue.  Sometimes with Algebra the issue is that the child isn't ready for it, sometimes it is that the material isn't presented in a way they understand, and sometimes it is another issue (like our processing thing).

All that said, my youngest, who struggled with Algebra, but did finish well, struggled a lot with DO physics. He was spending four weeks on one week of material. At first I thought it was the math part of it coupled with his processing issue. Then I started sitting with him and keeping him on task and explaining things where he had trouble, and then he was much more on schedule.  I think our reality is that he is not a kid who can deal with an asynchronous class like this. He is very easily distracted (has ADHD-inattentive) and easily bored and I think he was "ending early" much of the time and also spending time spinning his wheels instead of asking for help.  He really needs more check-ins and supervision than the class naturally offers.

So, all that to say, there could be multiple factors at play for why DO doesn't seem to be working. It would be good to evaluate if it is the asynchronous nature of the class that is the problem so you know to rule out other classes like that.  

• Like 2

Thank you for your response and thoughts!

He and his sister have a hard time getting it all done. They are able to complete their other classes because there are due dates and so they reduce their math work to get the other subjects done.

Aso, I had done math with them through Singapore 6B and they are comfortable with math and do pretty well. 

I think they need due dates so they prioritize math again. I noticed that the well trained mind academy has math online. My daughter had done AOPs prealgebra, but DO with honors algebra and geometry. I think the Saxon option might be better and she may not feel behind by not having done AOPS for over 1.5 years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bfw0729 said:

He and his sister have a hard time getting it all done. They are able to complete their other classes because there are due dates and so they reduce their math work to get the other subjects done.

if they like DO as a teacher, you could add in your own due dates and follow up with them to keep them on schedule.

I noticed you mentioned that they don't always do math five days a week. Mine do it five days a week for an hour and even with that, they do not finish in 36 weeks.  High school math might take 1.5 hours a day (or more) if you want to finish in a "school" year. Keep in mind that kids in brick and mortar get 50 minutes in class and then have homework on top of that.  I would be surprised if most kids could do math only four days a week and still finish in 36 weeks.  

• Like 1

Yes, look at WTMA, Math Amelia, Live Online Math, My Homeschool Math Class (that's Jann in TX's company), and Blue Tent to start off. There are others, but many also do not have firm deadlines, so you're going to run into the same issue you're having with DO - the ones I mentioned there do. If you're open to Christian providers as well, then there are a bunch more in that realm. If you're interested in WTMA, register right away. Most people I know who do math there like the set up and do well with it. 

Might be worth having them try an Algebra Unit on Khan Academy. The math videos are excellent so if they still take Algebra and Geometry elsewhere Khan Academy would still be a useful resource . If they are struggling to get the work done due to motivation/incentives then IXL is another good option for practice as it has many problem sets organized by topic (and subtopic) and you can 'reward' their completion in some manner.