Menu

Loyola Press Voyages in English

Green Bean

As we comtemplate a possible international move, I am looking for non-consumable resources to take with us. Does anyone have experience with this series? Are all the parts neccessary or could we get along fine with the text and TM? I know WTM recommends it as a secular alternative but that is all I know. What are your thoughts?

And now why not take R&S? Well, we cannot stand it. It is too religious to the point of being a distraction from the lessons for my kids.

I missed this post before.   I've used VIE grades 3-6 with all of my kids.  It is very school-y but I have found it a good, solid late elementary/early middle school program and easy to modify for homeschool use.   I've tried other programs but always wind up coming back to VIE.  

You absolutely do not need the teacher's manual.  I think I bought it for grade 3 way back when but IMO it is totally not worth the price.  You don't really even need the consumable practice book, but it's nice to have, especially for some of the grammar lessons.  

• Like 1

Agreeing with previous poster. VIE covers both writing and grammar. It's very traditional textbook style, designed for classroom use, but homeschoolers can adapt pretty easily. A lot of exercises in each lesson, so I would NOT "drill & kill" a kid by making them do every.single.problem if the child has the concept.

See samples of each grade level of student and teacher books here.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what you use after VIE 8? Do you switch to another program for high school grammar or are you just finished? I can't seem to find any info in book where it is recommended. It just says to skip the writing sections.

Thanks, I am planning on using IEW and have already purchased it, but I am going to use VIE for the friendly letter and address an envelope things that I'm not sure are covered in IEW. I just don't want to start a program I know will leave us hanging. SWB does says grammar should continue to at least 10th and then be "reviewed" the rest of high school but does not say how that looks if you choose this program. I am assuming that it is complete at 8th and then just review, comp and maybe public speaking after that. Is that an accurate assumption from what you've used and seen?

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2022 at 2:48 PM, mmq0020 said:

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what you use after VIE 8? Do you switch to another program for high school grammar or are you just finished? I can't seem to find any info in book where it is recommended. It just says to skip the writing sections.

We have used the old Catholic VIE series and in grade 9, we have used Correct Writing.  We did most of the writing parts in the lower grades, but the old series is a bit different from the secular one.