Menu

Highly gifted with ADD

visitor

Dear all,

We have tested DS 11 years old and it seems that he is highly gifted with ADD.

We are homeschooling him because of this . My question for those parents with the same situation.  Which curriculum do you recommend? He is highly gifted but at the same time his concentration is very low. When he is interested in something he can really concentrate and learn very deep.  But otherwise it's a struggle. 

Thanks in advanced, 

Visitor 

• Like 1

Is he taking any meds? That helped my 2e kids quite a bit. I would definitely recommend the Art of Problem Solving for math. My oldest really enjoyed the science courses at Art of Inquiry as well. Online G3 and Athena's Advanced Academy are also beloved providers of online classes for gifted kids. For grammar, the Michael Clay Thomson materials. My kids have also liked a lot of different Outschool classes. You can sort by popularity to see which get good reviews. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, this is the reason that we almost-unschool. Our entire household is ADHD. This means that DD doesn't focus well on things she doesn't like/choose, and I'm not great about following through on boring stuff myself. However, when she does choose to learn something, she can learn so much so fast that it more than makes up for the time she spent not doing the thing. She takes fairly few formal classes, often prefers to self-teach, and is still academically well ahead of her age group.

And that is with everyone in the household being medicated. Without that, we probably wouldn't really be getting anywhere.

• Thanks 1

We also almost unschool middle daughter.  She does Aleks for math because that's the way our cover school gives credit.  Otherwise she chooses a topic to study each month and has to find a way to tie in science or social studies.  Write a paper and create a project.