Menu

forms of payment for selling items

Night Elf

I'd say the buyer protection is why PayPal is popular for online buying from unknown people. I've never thought of it in terms of returns, but there is always the possibility of a scammer who never intended to send the item (maybe less likely here with many long term members, but I buy and sell in Facebook groups and on the  Homeschool Classifieds site where people are essentially anonymous or unknown). 

It can also serve as a stopgap against losses in case of postal service issues.  In FB groups that I frequent, insurance is the discretion of the seller, but they are also responsible for it getting there. If I buy a book and it never arrives, the seller needs to refund me and it's on them if they bought insurance or not to cover that potential loss.  When I sell, I insure if the value is more than I would want to just refund out of pocket.  If it's a $5 book, I'm willing to eat that loss.  I haven't been personally involved in any lost packages from this type of buy/sell/trade but I've done quite a bit so I feel lucky that nothing has ever gone seriously wrong. 

Thanks ladies, I bypassed the issue by just returning the items for a refund. It's the History text from Year 1 of BiblioPlan called Remember the Days. It's a $50 book! I'm using the program for my self-education and it was just too simplistic. I wanted more, so I bought their high school text called Consider the Years. It's a beautiful textbook. I don't know if I'll sell it when I'm finished with it! 

Last year I used paypal for an item that wasn't ebay.  It was supposedly a company - but . . . I never received my item, the company never responded to my enquiries . . . When I filed a claim with paypal, I was *finally* sent a tracking number that claimed it had been delivered.   The Hive suggested I track down that tracking number . . . It came from Amazon and was delivered to a different person in my city.  Since it was clearly fraud - I thought paypal would be quick to refund me.  They kept dragging their feet. . . I filed with my CC company (I don't use cash/bank account via paypal, it's always a credit card.)  I had my refund within 24 hours.