Menu

Looking for a specific imitation writing program

WishboneDawn

I used to post here years ago, but my older kids are grown and my youngest was going to school. We've decided to pull our youngest for a few weeks at least due to a local surge in covid (we have a family member going through chemo with a terminal illness and don't want to risk the time we have left with him) so I'm pulling out all my old resources.

One thing I can NOT find, either on my CDs containing the mountains of curriculum I bought years ago or online, is a nice imitation writing program I used to have. It may have had 'classic' or classical' in the title but I'm not sure. It definitely wasn't part of one of the bigger programs and wasn't as formal as something like CW Aesop.

I remember we'd read a fable, the child would retell it (par for the course, I know), and one of the activities was literally cutting up the sections of the story and letting the child put them back in the right order. There was some clip art in it. It's probably not exactly what I want for my fourth grader but I wanted to take a look at it.

Failing that, I'd love a program that's a good intro to imitation writing. Nothing to expensive or involved. If it's light, I'm fine as I can flesh it out on my own. I'll be using Rex Barks so no grammar is needed.

Thanks!

That's not it. The other one felt a lot more 'fun' and designed to appeal to the child, but that honestly looks really good. I'd prefer something not Christian, but I could work with that. I could probably whip up a program myself but with family upheavals and such, I really need a program to stay accountable too.

Thank you so much for that rec! It's definitely a contender. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WishboneDawn said:

That's not it. The other one felt a lot more 'fun' and designed to appeal to the child, but that honestly looks really good. I'd prefer something not Christian, but I could work with that. I could probably whip up a program myself but with family upheavals and such, I really need a program to stay accountable too.

Thank you so much for that rec! It's definitely a contender. 🙂

Oh no problem!  I didn't think those specific courses were Christian, but I'd have to look closer.  I hope you find what you are looking for. 🙂

3 hours ago, WishboneDawn said:

I remember we'd read a fable, the child would retell it (par for the course, I know), and one of the activities was literally cutting up the sections of the story and letting the child put them back in the right order. There was some clip art in it. It's probably not exactly what I want for my fourth grader but I wanted to take a look at it.

I third Writing Tales. Fourth grade is about the right age for it as well.

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

This is my thought.  3 of my tutored students are doing it right now.

The suggested follow on to it is Classical Writing, since it's only 2 levels.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Writing Tales?

I hope you're able to stay well! 

35 minutes ago, KSera said:

I third Writing Tales. Fourth grade is about the right age for it as well.

That's it! I recognize the clip art and comic sans. XD Thank you all!

• Like 1