Menu

MCT

Momx42012

I have a few questions about MCT’s island series. 

1) Would you recommend doing anything before starting the series with an advanced 1st grader? We are working through TG&TB level 1 right now but it’s easy for him so he’s bored and I’m not in love with it anyways. We kind of just went with it because it was online and free to print and I hadn’t decided on a curriculum yet.  I’d like to try something different possibly. I hear a lot of people use FLL. Is that a curriculum people have worked through before MCT’s? Or do they cover the same things? Would it be beneficial to do both? 

2) I have found someone selling the Island set used but they appear to have different cover pictures so they must be older editions? Would they still be alright to use? I know on the website they advise against buying used. 

TIA 

MCT looks different than any other curriculum. I have not the Island level, but many kids enjoy the story. My 4th grader enjoyed the town level. It all clicked with my son, but he wanted more practice with the phrases. 

1st grade might be kind of young to start. I know we have looked over the story and referenced it beyond the initial reading, so maybe if you see the child's eyes glazing over and no enjoyment, then simply put it aside and wait. 

I bought mine used and am fairly confident I will be able to sell my set used. They made revisions and it is an expensive curriculum for what it is. Buy used if you can. Grammar, sentence construction does not change. Buy just the teacher's book. Most teacher's books have the entire student book with some extra comments. Easy to cover up answers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kezia said:

MCT looks different than any other curriculum. I have not the Island level, but many kids enjoy the story. My 4th grader enjoyed the town level. It all clicked with my son, but he wanted more practice with the phrases. 

1st grade might be kind of young to start. I know we have looked over the story and referenced it beyond the initial reading, so maybe if you see the child's eyes glazing over and no enjoyment, then simply put it aside and wait. 

I bought mine used and am fairly confident I will be able to sell my set used. They made revisions and it is an expensive curriculum for what it is. Buy used if you can. Grammar, sentence construction does not change. Buy just the teacher's book. Most teacher's books have the entire student book with some extra comments. Easy to cover up answers. 

Thank you! Yeah, he’s definitely more like a 2nd grade level but we will be waiting a little bit yet. That’s why I was wondering if I should be doing something before it or just working through our TG&TB is okay for now until we start. 

I didn’t think the revisions would change too much about the sentence and grammar parts and what not. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out if we bought an older version, so good to know! 

I'm not familiar with TG&TB, but the Island level of MCT is pretty lightweight and does not assume much prior knowledge.  Try to get a copy of the Island level books.  

We did Growing with Grammar for a year before MCT. I didn't care much for GWG, and I think we could have skipped it.  

You don't need anything before starting with MCT island - there's no prior knowledge needed.  One thing to consider is that the first 2 levels are gentle, but when you get to the Voyage level it's challenging, with complex essays to read.  If you plan on this being your primary grammar (it was for us) then you probably don't want to get to the Voyage level in 3rd grade unless your kid is a very advanced reader and writer.  We try to time it so that we do Voyage no earlier than 5th or 6th.  If you just want to do Island and/or Town and then take a break, then start whenever you want.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spirea said:

I thought Island was for a normal 3rd grader or gifted younger kids.  I didn't love it, though I liked their poetry. I may try it with ds7. 

I bought a used set on ebay. I'm sure the publisher prefers you buy new so they make more money.

Oh yeah I’m sure. 
I didn’t even think of checking eBay. 

6 hours ago, KrisTom said:

Interjecting...

I was just looking at Royal Fireworks Press/MCT.  Like Memoria Press, it looks like a curriculum with a lot of pieces.  It looks somewhat interesting. Just not sure if we're not liking MP or we'd like that any better. Has anyone used both?  

Responded in the other thread. They could not be more different. Look up curriculum reviews on YouTube, like This one. I didn't watch this but scrolled through and see she flips through the books. Lots of white space, fun font and colors. It is the opposite of the stark, dry, bland sameness of MP.

• Like 1

I use The Sentence Family in the first semester of K then slowly start MCT in the second half. Doing it early, though, we skip most of the writing activities or do them buddy style. We do the second level of MCT more intensely in 3/4. My kids have been early readers and writers.