Menu

Blogs---anyone know a lot about blogging?

Ottakee

I have had my blog for almost 3 years now.  My purposes have pretty much been accomplished with it.....supporting women through the first few years after a significant other (spouse/boyfriend, etc) was arrested for a s*x offense.

I use word press and have a domain name and hosting with blue host.  The costs for the first 3 years was reasonable.  The renewal costs are NOT.  I tried to get a better deal but it doesn't seem like they will budge on pricing.

So, I am wondering if I can pay just for the domain name and not the hosting fee at blue host.   Or can I blog through WordPress without my own domain?  Or if all else fails, how do you save all of the past 3 years worth of posts and then just use FB instead of a blog format.  Or could I move to another cheaper hosting spot???

Any hints/tips/ideas?   I never had any ads on my blog so this was all out of pocket costs.  I never wanted to make money off the hurts of others (although I realize that some need ads in order to support their good work).   I just don't have the finances to fund this at the full renewal prices.

Serious, I don't know much at all about it.

I have used blogger for years for free.  I bought my domain names through Goggle which are $10 a year.   They give you a choice to monetize or not. I've never done any ads because I hate ads in any way, shape, or form.  I have every adblocker known so I don't have to see ads when web browsing.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robin M said:

I have used blogger for years for free.  I bought my domain names through Goggle which are $10 a year.   They give you a choice to monetize or not. I've never done any ads because I hate ads in any way, shape, or form.  I have every adblocker known so I don't have to see ads when web browsing.  

I wonder if I can keep my domain name through google

Blogger is free, no host cost.  The only expense is the cost for renewing your domain name annually. 

If you get an actual website, versus a blog take at look at Network Solutions if you want to go a more professional route.  We use them for our business websites and is more expensive at $40 a year for the domain and hurricane electric for hosting at $9.99 each for the two.  I'm too lazy to switch over the hosting and they both cost about the same, but Network Solutions is easier to navigate and deal with.  The only downside with a website is they are more static so it's harder to make changes and wouldn't suit if you plan to post often.  

Edited by Robin M

I would not count on Facebook.

I had a bunch of blog like things on it that were Notes, and they disabled that with relatively little notice.  I had to go to each one and cut and paste it into an email, correct the formatting, and send it to myself to save them.  Thankfully there were less than 20 but it was still pretty time consuming.

I think that no matter where you put them this is a possibility.  Personally if I start a blog I plan to have my content in several places, just in case—Word documents, email, and no less than two online locations.  I participated in a homeschooling blog for a while that the organizers did not keep up, and ended up completely losing a couple of great articles that I wrote, although a few of them were recovered.  You just never know with this kind of thing.