Menu

More IT questions

Scarlett

10 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

If a visitor to your home knows your IP address and password can he hack into the devices and computers using that wifi?  Even after he has left your house?

He’d need the username. The IP wouldn’t really be any help as far as I understand. Still, better to get passwords changed ASAP to something he couldn’t guess. I’d use a generated password from a password manager like Bitwarden. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

He’d need the username. The IP wouldn’t really be any help as far as I understand. Still, better to get passwords changed ASAP to something he couldn’t guess. I’d use a generated password from a password manager like Bitwarden. 

Username?  Hmmm.......

As for the password the provider told us we can't change the password.  But I am guessing that it can be changed.  I told my MIL to call them and tell them they suspect they have been hacked by a former family member.

• Like 1

Not exactly sure what exactly you mean by "can he hack into the devices and computers using that wifi?"

If the person has your wifi password, they can use your wifi as long as they are within reach (doesn't have to be inside the house, but needs to be vicinity) to do nefarious things. That's why it is crucial that home wifi not be open but password protected.

I do not believe they can do anything with the IP address 

But to hack into devices/computers, they would need to know password and username for the device as well.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Username?  Hmmm.......

As for the password the provider told us we can't change the password.  But I am guessing that it can be changed.  I told my MIL to call them and tell them they suspect they have been hacked by a former family member.

Wait are we talking wi-fi passcode or router passcode or something else? She should be able to change either of those (at least if she has access to the router). 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Not exactly sure what exactly you mean by "can he hack into the devices and computers using that wifi?"

If the person has your wifi password, they can use your wifi as long as they are within reach (doesn't have to be inside the house, but needs to be vicinity) to do nefarious things. That's why it is crucial that home wifi not be open but password protected.

I do not believe they can do anything with the IP address 

But to hack into devices/computers, they would need to know password and username for the device as well.

Ok, I guess I used the wrong word....not hack into the wifi...maybe what I mean is hack into a device in the home because he had access to the IP address. So say his STBXwife's IMac is in the home.....could he get into her IMac from across country.

9 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Ok, I guess I used the wrong word....not hack into the wifi...maybe what I mean is hack into a device in the home because he had access to the IP address. So say his STBXwife's IMac is in the home.....could he get into her IMac from across country.

If he has the username and password for the IMac. (But to do that, he also needs to hack into the wifi first )
Hacking via IP and brute forcing ports is possible, but I imagine it requires above average hacking expertise

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

If he has the username and password for the IMac. (But to do that, he also need to hack into the wifi first )
Hacking via IP and brute forcing ports is possible, but I imagine it requires above average hacking expertise

So if she changes the IMac password she should be good regardless?  We are all not IT people and we are all paranoid that he can get into our computers and phones.  SIL thinks she can see where her IMac has been logged into after she took it from CA but before she logged in to it.  

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

So if she changes the IMac password she should be good regardless?  We are all not IT people and we are all paranoid that he can get into our computers and phones.  SIL thinks she can see where her IMac has been logged into after she took it from CA but before she logged in to it.  

If I were concerned, I would change everything: change the username on the device, change the password on the device, change the IP address by unplugging the router, and change the wifi password.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

If I were concerned, I would change everything: change the username on the device, change the password on the device, change the IP address by unplugging the router, and change the wifi password.

Thank you.  I will suggest that.

8 minutes ago, regentrude said:

But most importantly, I would take the devices to an expert to make sure that no spyware has been installed on them. If she's really concerned that ex is tracking her

Oooooh.  That would be what he would do.  Wow. I did not even think of that.  You would think I would have since I put a keylogger on my now XH's computer.

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Oooooh.  That would be what he would do.  Wow. I did not even think of that.  You would think I would have since I put a keylogger on my now XH's computer.

if she is really afraid of him, she might want to ditch her devices and get new ones. If she needs to hide her location, she should get a new phone.