Menu

First Bird of the Year 2022 edition

MEmama

13 hours ago, Kanin said:

Nope! I'd like to know, too. There's a whole flock that hangs out here so I'll get some photos. When it snows, my yard is covered in duck prints, very cute. 

Not bird prints, but I just noticed possum prints all over my backyard! After taking a vacation from our yard last year, they appear to be residing under our garden shed again. Seeing their little prints makes me so happy, they are adorable *and* it means we might have fewer yard rodents in the spring. Take that, squirrels! 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quill said:

This is what I ended up seeing too. And the interesting thing is, all I saw (besides chickens) a few times throughout the day were cardinals. 

They are almost all I see at the new house! Or rather, all that comes to the feeder. Every day pretty much I get a pair of them, they take turns eating which is adorable. I'm assuming they are a mated pair? 

The only other birds to come to the feeder are some tufted titmice - they will come in grab a seed and head back to the woods really fast, then come back, the hide again, etc. Usually a few at a time. But I don't get them often. Mostly just the cardinals. I am not sure why, but we do have a lot of hawks around so maybe the cardinals are the only ones bold enough to brave the hawks? They definitely are bigger....maybe too big for most of the hawks which are usually spotted grabbing a lizard or bug?

We have mockingbirds in the brush behind the house but they eat bugs so don't come to the feeder, and morning doves are often heard and yesterday one was spotted on the neighbor's roof. 

Other than that, we get Red Shoulder Hawks (sometimes they won't shut up!), lots of black vultures (they will perch on the neighbor's house, which is a bit creepy, lol), White Ibis, and Sandhill Cranes. I've spotted a blue heron once, and a green heron. 

• Like 2