Menu

Does this type of map exist???

I want a big map to hang on the wall that we can color on. I already have the typical laminated wall map. But we are getting ready to start our new geography book...it is a pretty traditional text with all the physical geography plus some history, culture, etc. I thought it would be fun to have a huge wall map that we could color in as we study each country, continent, etc.

Any ideas??

We're totally into maps in our schoolroom. . . we've done big table size maps of the Mediterranean, the world, the U.S., whatever the main focus of the year is. We've also done tons of smaller theme maps, about 14"x20". All of them are completely done from scratch and are a beautiful record. We often incorporate images, fancy lettering, color, etc.

What I do is find a map I like from places like Uncle Josh's outline maps, or Knowledge Quest, or often from the National Geographic site. You can also use Google images and turn up all sorts of things. Then I place it in Adobe Illustrator, set my document size to the size I want (we often use 18"x24" but have done them as large as 36"x48") and print out a copy. I'm sure there are other layout programs you could use but Illustrator is the one I am familiar with. You need a program that allows you to adjust page size. You can print it at a low resolution because you're going to tape them all together and use it as an underlay for tracing.

I would recommend a good quality paper for your maps, I use Clearprint Vellum (available at art stores or stores that carry drafting supplies.) I actually ordered a roll of Clearprint so I can cut off different sizes depending on what we're doing. This paper holds up very well over time, can be colored on both sides, and has lasted taped down to our table for an entire school year. You can outline with a simple marker, color with pencils, etc.

It sounds complicated but we haven't purchased a map in five years, and I have all these beautiful art maps for posterity! Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to whip out an underlay for any map area you like. You can crop, rotate, etc.

Good luck! Probably more than you wanted to know!