Menu

"Gameschooling" autism

We've found that few common board games are really great for getting my asd kiddos (and hubby! lol) practicing some thinking skills that don't come naturally to them. Some of our top faves for that are:

Hedbanz - really works on seeing the forest and not just the trees (e.g., asking one question re: if you're an animal before asking five questions re: if you're a giraffe, duck, elephant, horse, etc.) More than any other game we have, I've noticed that my asd kids and husband really struggle with this one, all for this exact same reason.

What do you meme? (family edition) - gives us a lot of practice talking about facial expressions and body language and emotions, as well as social norms, humor and appropriateness

Apples to Apples Jr. - Again, more focus on what someone else is thinking and might find funny

We have games from social thinking, of course, but these games are way more "fun" than those (per my children.) I'm looking for other game suggestions that we could use to practice skills that my asd kiddos are weaker in. 

• Like 4

We have a lot of games here. I love board games. It's not easy to get DS with ASD to participate. I think part of the issue for him is waiting for his turn and getting bored, but the gameplay itself is often also challenging. I'll throw out some ideas here, and I may be back to add more.

Dixit  https://www.amazon.com/Storytelling-Creative-Players-Playtime-Libellud/dp/2914849656/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1C56DY6QTS6KP&keywords=dixit&qid=1637113578&sprefix=Dixit%2Caps%2C239&sr=8-2   Players have a hand of cards with fantastical pictures on them. The active player names a word or a phrase (book title, quote, just a random word, anything) that one of his/her cards resembles in some way. Then everyone picks a card from their hand that they think also could have something to do with that chosen phrase, and everyone puts their cards in a facedown pile. Then everyone votes on which card they think was the original person's card. The object of the game is to not make it so hard that you get zero points, but not make it so easy that everyone votes for your card.

Bohnanza https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-RGG155-Bohnanza/dp/B00008URUS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bohnanza&qid=1637113879&sr=8-1 (don't pay that price; watch for it to go lower). This is a bargaining game, where you trade cards with the other players, so it is good for practicing negotiating and communication skills. And decision making.

Coup https://www.amazon.com/Indie-Boards-and-Cards-COU1IBC/dp/B00GDI4HX4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=coup&qid=1637114011&sr=8-1   (fabulous price right now!). This may be DS's favorite game. It involves deceit and lying, which is a skill not all those with ASD are great at, but some parents would object to. You have two cards in your hand, and you put one down and CLAIM what is on the face side of the card, but you might be lying. Others can challenge you to see if you are telling the truth. Trying to tell if the other person is being truthful is the real skill that I think is helpful for my teen to practice, because he needs practice in reading body language and facial skills.

Apples to Apples DIsney version. https://www.amazon.com/Mattel-Games-Disney-Apples-Refresh/dp/B00H5HU9E8/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=apples+to+apples+disney&qid=1637114272&sr=8-2  We have Jr, too, but we love this one better. It's probably our most played game. It has pictures on the cards, in addition to the words, which makes it more fun. Interpreting the picture adds an element. Also, there is an "opposite" card called the Poison Apple, which makes you switch the word to its opposite.

King of Tokyo https://www.amazon.com/IELLO-King-Tokyo-Board-Game/dp/B01F46RPS4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3OXQY5OGBVZUK&keywords=king%2Bof%2Btokyo&qid=1637114441&sprefix=king%2Bof%2Bto%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-1&th=1  Has a fun theme. It does involve targeting other players to try to get them out. It helps us practice good sportsmanship. Also decision making, because you can make choices that will take you out of the game, if you are not paying attention.

I may add more later.

• Like 2

Video games where two players have to coordinate/cooperate have led to more language use about this here.

There are games (like Mario games) where if one person goes ahead too much, the other person can be trapped behind something and die.  Mario Odyssey definitely has this.  It doesn’t go to split-screen where each player can do whatever.  Ideally one player would notice that the other player isn’t keeping up and would slow down or wait, instead of running ahead and making the other person die.  

It Takes Two requires two players and some coordination.  However — my son played this with a play date (!!!!!!!) and they didn’t need to talk, they could both just tell what to do.  But if he plays with me we have to talk 😉

It has been a theme that if it’s more fun to play a video game with someone together, then you have to notice them and adjust to them.  You have to agree, in a lot of games, about where to go.  You have to agree who will pick something up.  

I think a lot of this has transferred from video games, because it does involve noticing and being more thoughtful about getting along with the other person. 

• Like 2