Menu

Want To Help With Kid Room Storage Ideas

JustEm

We are doing some serious rearranging of our house in order to turn out living room into a martial arts training room.  In order to make this doable we have get all the kids today in their rooms.  If you have links to any toy storage solutions that you love please bombard me with them.  We do have the large ikea cube storage unit, which we do not like for toy storage solution.  The bins have just always ended up becoming a mess of disorganization.  

Thanks for any tips or links.

Toy hammock for storage on the walls. https://www.amazon.com/Jumbo-Toy-Hammock-childrens-organizing/dp/B00F3JZY1S

I prefer bins + lids to cabinet with pull out drawer, since the drawer can get overstuffed and stuck. Cabinet doors can pop open. A bin per kid, but I'm not picky about them cross-contaminating so long as they are okay with it. 

I don't know what type of toys we're talking about. Big electronic? random pieces of stuff? Legos? My above method is a hammer and most toy situations will look like nails, lol, but maybe there can be more nuance/ actual organization added depending on what you've got.

• Like 2

Even without the toys-in-room requirement, I'd suggest rotating the bins of toys, so only about 20% are out in their room, available to play. 
The rest can be stored in the garage or attic, and gotten out monthly, or whenever.

The Minimal Mom talks a lot about how to declutter toys (on youtube) and how to help your child with creative play.

And yes, I need to follow her advice!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Can you give some rough ideas of ages and types of toys?

Yes.  Ages range from 13 to 1.  Toys are legos, dress up stuff, Calico Critters, animal figures, hand puppets,magnatiles, stuffed animals, play kitchen and food, LOL dolls, toddler type instruments like shakers, xylophone, etc. The types of things that storage bins are made for but I think the size of the cubes and bins just lends itself to having half filled bins that end up with other toys thrown into them.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

Toy hammock for storage on the walls. https://www.amazon.com/Jumbo-Toy-Hammock-childrens-organizing/dp/B00F3JZY1S

I prefer bins + lids to cabinet with pull out drawer, since the drawer can get overstuffed and stuck. Cabinet doors can pop open. A bin per kid, but I'm not picky about them cross-contaminating so long as they are okay with it. 

I don't know what type of toys we're talking about. Big electronic? random pieces of stuff? Legos? My above method is a hammer and most toy situations will look like nails, lol, but maybe there can be more nuance/ actual organization added depending on what you've got.

I can't believe I forgot about toy hammocks.  That is what I had growing up for my stuffed animals, which I had tons of and it worked great.  Thank you!

I have the Ikea Kallax thing but instead of big storage boxes I keep each set of toys in smaller storage boxes and put them in the cubes. The storage boxes are various sized shoe boxes. Then it's a bit more organized and the kids can just grab the box of stuff they want instead of dumping a big box of random things. 

• Like 1