Menu

Phonics program similar to MFW 1st Grade

KSera

A couple of my older kids learned to read with the phonics program in My Father's World's first grade program. I really liked the way they taught reading and it was very effective, including in my dyslexic dd; I'm not sure she would have learned to read as well or as quickly with other programs. I am now looking for something for my youngest, who is currently at the stage of reading simple short vowel words and is very keen on learning more. I'm not interested in doing the whole MFW 1st grade program, so I'm looking for something that uses a similar approach and pacing. We're currently reading through the Progressive Phonics books, but I think he needs something that introduces things at a faster pace; he knows one sound for each letter at this point and needs to learn the others. Fine motor skills are unusually good, but he hasn't learned to write lower case letters yet. Any suggestions?

35 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Is there a reason you don't want to do something like Spalding or LOE instead? Well, I'm sure there's a reason, lol. 🙂

I did some LOE with my last child, but it was a lot more pieces than was needed or helpful for us and moved slower than that dc needed, so we moved on. I still have the books and cards and sandpaper letters and all that though. I haven’t actually used Spalding with any of mine. I used to know why, but I’ve been doing this a long time now and no longer remember 🤣

• Like 1

Blend Phonics? It's easy to process faster with it, just move on to the next thing when the sounds you're working on are well learned.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/blend_phonics_reader.pdf

Word Mastery goes to a higher level and should be easy to accelerate as well.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/word_mastery_typed.pdf

If you still have the MFW phonics on hand, you could just do the phonics portion of it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, momofabcd said:

Phonics Pathways, Abeka Phonics, Adventures in Phonics all teach in the same way MFW does. 

I've only used Phonics Pathways of those, but I'm curious in what way you find them similar, besides teaching phonics? What I recall being particularly helpful with MFW was the marking of certain phonograms and the fairly rapid introduction of phonograms that got the kids reading "real" stuff pretty quickly. I do like Phonics Pathways and keep it on hand, but have never done the whole book with any of my kids. It's usually something we use in the very beginning, when they are just starting to blend. Maybe I need to look toward the end to see how they teach the later phonograms.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 2:44 PM, KSera said:

I've only used Phonics Pathways of those, but I'm curious in what way you find them similar, besides teaching phonics? What I recall being particularly helpful with MFW was the marking of certain phonograms and the fairly rapid introduction of phonograms that got the kids reading "real" stuff pretty quickly. I do like Phonics Pathways and keep it on hand, but have never done the whole book with any of my kids. It's usually something we use in the very beginning, when they are just starting to blend. Maybe I need to look toward the end to see how they teach the later phonograms.

Their similarity is in how they teach phonics.  They all start with consonant vowel blends, ie. ba, be, bi, bo, bu etc.  Abeka and Adventures in Phonics also have a phonogram marking system.  Why not go ahead and use only the phonics program from MFW? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, momofabcd said:

Their similarity is in how they teach phonics.  They all start with consonant vowel blends, ie. ba, be, bi, bo, bu etc.  Abeka and Adventures in Phonics also have a phonogram marking system.  Why not go ahead and use only the phonics program from MFW? 

I thought of that, but I think I would need to buy too many things, and it’s probably not all that special enough for me to warrant buying most of the program to only use the phonics. I was asking in case there was something out there really similar. 

On 11/22/2021 at 7:26 PM, KSera said:

I thought of that, but I think I would need to buy too many things, and it’s probably not all that special enough for me to warrant buying most of the program to only use the phonics. I was asking in case there was something out there really similar. 

I taught my oldest with MFW phonics. However, she was a terrible speller. When I found the OG method, I never looked back.  Different from others here, I really like The Phonics Road to Reading and Spelling after using Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.   

Edited by momofabcd