Menu

Okay, so those familiar with Agricola and Carcassonne (Euro games)...

There have been some good threads recently with Euro-style game suggestions. (Btw, I don't know a soul in Europe who owns, much less plays, board games. Just as an aside.:tongue_smilie:) I mentioned that I want to get the Settlers of Catan expansion pack since we enjoy that so much, but now I think I may also get a new game altogether. I'm deciding between Agricola and Carcassonne ~ for the older boys, that is.

One question I have for anyone who actually owns the games is, where are they made? I'd also like to hear which game you prefer and why. Agricola gets rave reviews (and so does Carcassonne, but Agricola seems to be tops for many people). It sounds pretty complicated, though, and I don't want to have each game be burdensome. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

We have Carcassonne & I just looked at the box - it's Made in Germany.

FWIW, we enjoy this game a lot. We've had it a year & play a couple times a month. Carcassonne was easy to learn to play but it's not 'simple', kwim? I'm thinking of getting some of the expansion packs for it ....

Thanks for the info. You're helping me a good bit today, between this and the remote control plane/heli post.;) I do know what you mean about a game being easy to learn but not simplistic. I'm kinda leaning toward Carcassonne for that reason. I think Agricola might work better for us in a couple of years. Do you have Settlers? Is Carcassonne different enough from Settlers that it makes sense to own both?

There have been some good threads recently with Euro-style game suggestions. (Btw, I don't know a soul in Europe who owns, much less plays, board games. Just as an aside.:tongue_smilie:) I mentioned that I want to get the Settlers of Catan expansion pack since we enjoy that so much, but now I think I may also get a new game altogether. I'm deciding between Agricola and Carcassonne ~ for the older boys, that is.

One question I have for anyone who actually owns the games is, where are they made? I'd also like to hear which game you prefer and why. Agricola gets rave reviews (and so does Carcassonne, but Agricola seems to be tops for many people). It sounds pretty complicated, though, and I don't want to have each game be burdensome. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure Agricola is German, or maybe Dutch. The directions are a little confusing, I think translation wasn't quite right. But there's a helpful web video that walks players through how to play. It's not a very complex game once you get the gist. My MIL (NOT a board game player or strategist) figured it out quickly and was quite a force to be reckoned with. I like it playing and I don't like tough strategy games. I'll edit and add the link dh watched once he sends it to me.

I would agree that Carcassone is probably the more straightforward of the two. My 6.5 and 7.5 year olds can play Carcassone. We have the Hunters and Gatherers version. And I do think it's easier than Catan.

Here's the video explanation for Agricola

You can watch it and see if it sparks your interest. Edited by Jami

Do you have Settlers? Is Carcassonne different enough from Settlers that it makes sense to own both?

We have both Settlers and Carcassonne. I would highly recommend both of them. They are definitely different enough to warrant both! I would say that as you start adding the expansion packs to Carcassonne it changes the strategy of the game. Dh thinks it makes it more interactive with the expansion packs and prefers not to play without them now that we have introduced them. (Does that make sense?) Either with or without the expansion packs Carcassonne is enjoyable for a variety of ages.

We were introduced to both of these games by Germans while living in Germany. While I can't speak for all of Europe, there is an extensive gaming culture within Germany to be sure, thanks to the Spiel des Jahres game award that was started in 1978. Both Carcassonne and Settlers have won the award.

I hope your guys enjoy whichever you decide to get!

Slight hijack, but if anyone has a Setters of Catan set that's missing pieces and they'd like to get rid of it, PM me, okay? I'd be willing to pay $10 or so plus shipping. Collin got into our game last year and lost all the buildings, but I hate to spend another $30 just for the little pieces. I suppose I could call Mayfair and ask if they sell replacement sets, huh?

Barb

Slight hijack, but if anyone has a Setters of Catan set that's missing pieces and they'd like to get rid of it, PM me, okay? I'd be willing to pay $10 or so plus shipping. Collin got into our game last year and lost all the buildings, but I hate to spend another $30 just for the little pieces. I suppose I could call Mayfair and ask if they sell replacement sets, huh?

Barb

you should be able to get replacements. We have the older German version with wooden pieces and I purchased extras a few years ago from Mayfair.

you should be able to get replacements. We have the older German version with wooden pieces and I purchased extras a few years ago from Mayfair.

Oh, that's great news! I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out if they can do this. The older kids and dh will be so happy.

Barb