Menu

Do I really want to spend that kind of money on All About Spelling?!?!

Renee in NC

I have been given some money that is just for buying some homeschooling materials.

I have dc that both need help with spelling/reading. Both would be at Level 1 (but at much different rates.)

My 7yo has severe learning difficulties and we are trying to help him (including the I See Sam books.) He cannot read at all.

My 10yo has dyslexic tendencies and struggle with reading and cannot spell at all. Even if he can memorize the way the words "look" it doesn't seem to transfer to his writing (what little he can do.)

From what I have read, it sounds as if All About Spelling is right up both of their alleys, but it is so expensive! By the time I get the Teacher Manual, 2 student materials, 2 letter tiles, and shipping, it is almost $73!

I do like that there is a guarantee, so I can always send it back (and just be out the shipping.) I need some reassurance that this is the right thing or a kick in the pants to tell me to use my limited money elsewhere.

well, i know you said that you've already decided...but I'll add in my 2 cents anyway...

I have 2 kids using level 2 at the same time, but i teach them seperately. We have only 1 set of tiles and 1 set of cards. For one dd, I typed up all the words in a list on 1 page, and I mark next to them when we've practiced them, if they're mastered, or if she needs more practice. It's not hard to remember which of the other cards each child needs to review because there aren't too many of them.

Have you looked at Hannah's Word Attack? To me the two are similar (both rule based spelling) and Hannah's price is a whole lot better. I know that she's planning at least one more level. Plus, you could easily add the letter tiles and make up your own flashcards to go with it if you need more hands on with your kids. Hope that helps!

Edited by Pata

Honestly compared to other remedial programs directed towards dyslexics (that also have a very good track record) it is not expensive. Barton Reading is $250-350 a level an it has 10 levels. :D

Why they end up so expensive is partly do to needing multiple ways to approach things. Dyslexics usually need to use as many senses as possible to create multiple learning pathways and they need LOTS of reinforcement (even when it gets boring) because their visual memory is very low which is why they can't remember how it looks, or they mix it up and thing the wrong thing looks right. By involving more senses you compensate for the lack of visual memory.

BTW unless you plan to teach them the same material at the same time you only need one set of tiles. I use one set of tiles with all four of my kids.

Heather (who is dyslexic and has dyslexic children)

I have been given some money that is just for buying some homeschooling materials.

I have dc that both need help with spelling/reading. Both would be at Level 1 (but at much different rates.)

My 7yo has severe learning difficulties and we are trying to help him (including the I See Sam books.) He cannot read at all.

My 10yo has dyslexic tendencies and struggle with reading and cannot spell at all. Even if he can memorize the way the words "look" it doesn't seem to transfer to his writing (what little he can do.)

From what I have read, it sounds as if All About Spelling is right up both of their alleys, but it is so expensive! By the time I get the Teacher Manual, 2 student materials, 2 letter tiles, and shipping, it is almost $73!

I do like that there is a guarantee, so I can always send it back (and just be out the shipping.) I need some reassurance that this is the right thing or a kick in the pants to tell me to use my limited money elsewhere.

I know you said you talked yourself out of it....But, just in case you are still reading the thread...... I can't see why you couldn't share the student pack & tiles. I have used it up to level 4 and so far at that level I don't see how you still couldn't share.

I am going to order AAS too. At this point, I can't tell you if it's worth the money. To me, a curriculum is worth thousands if it fits my child and helps her learn that particular skill. If it's not a good fit, then I don't want it even if it's free.

Time will tell but I have a good gut feeling about AAS. ;)

I am going to order AAS too. At this point, I can't tell you if it's worth the money. To me, a curriculum is worth thousands if it fits my child and helps her learn that particular skill. If it's not a good fit, then I don't want it even if it's free.

Time will tell but I have a good gut feeling about AAS. ;)

After looking at the AAS site again, it looks like my 10yo could go into Level 2, really (based on their placement advice), so it would be even more than that to get the material for both.

I just don't have the money right now and someone has offered me something else that might work just as well!

I don't think AAS would be appropriate for either of your kids.

Since your 10 yo is still struggling with reading, it seems as if he reading issues are more than just a tendency towards dyslexia.

I would encourage an 'off the shelf' evidence based, known to be effective dyslexia intervention for both of them asap....

Wilsonlanguage.com (very strong on encoding/spelling as well as reading..this is what we use)

Barton (not sure how it is for encoding.....it's like the others for decoding except that it has the HUGE benefit of being scripted. totally scripted so it's open and go)

Recipe for Reading (much like Wilson)

HEC Horizons for Reading (great computer based program mostly for decoding....not very strong for encoding....you'd use All About Spelling or Wilson for the encoding part)

AAS is not an appropriate stand alone program for a dyslexic child. It is an appropriate *supplemental* program for a dyslexic child.

Also consider getting Read, Write, Type! as a supplemental program for your kids.

:)

K

Since your 10 yo is still struggling with reading, it seems as if he reading issues are more than just a tendency towards dyslexia.

His struggles with reading are vision issues really. He is getting better as we go the "Guided Oral Reading." The fact that he often skips words, parts of words, and whole lines makes him struggle with reading. The spelling issue is separate, I believe.

My 7yo has WAY more issues than just being dyslexic (even though I suspect that as well.) Ottakee recommended the "I See Sam" books and I think this is going to work for him.

My 7yo has WAY more issues than just being dyslexic (even though I suspect that as well.) Ottakee recommended the "I See Sam" books and I think this is going to work for him.

My daughter who couldn't memorize the phonics rules to save her life, learned to read with these. I'm not sure she'd be reading at all without them.

I know there are strong arguments for teaching rules-based phonics and spelling but that method didn't work for my daughter. The BRI/ARI books worked for reading and Sequential Spelling is working for spelling.

I have used six different spelling programs in 9 years of teaching.

We finally tried AAS last spring. At first it was a little rough going while I was getting used to the program. When I figured out a system that worked for me, it was a breeze. My girls are not that far apart in their use of the levels to get away with one set of cards per level, but we definitely can use only one set of tiles. I did teach them together at first because they were at the same level, but then they separated into different lessons and then levels.

I don't know if you are looking for a spelling program or a phonics type program. We use this for spelling, but it is benefitting Brianna who needs constant repetition of phonics because she just can't seem to remember sounds.

Jennie

This is the one we are going to try - someone here has graciously offered it to me!

I have been using SWR for about 2 years, with good results. It wasn't easy to learn, but worth the effort. AAS I am told is more scripted, so it doesn't require you as the teacher to learn it upfront the way SWR does.

BWT there is a yahoo group for SWR that you might find helpful.

Heather

His struggles with reading are vision issues really.

really?

He is getting better as we go the "Guided Oral Reading."

interestingly, that's also part and parcel of dyxlexia intervention.

The fact that he often skips words, parts of words, and whole lines makes him struggle with reading. The spelling issue is separate, I believe.

Hmmm.

It's so interesting to me how many on this board will choose the unproven route of vision therapy with something as critical as reading......esp since using scientifically sound reading interventions will result in virtually all kids being proficient readers. Since that's the case, where are the 'vision problems'? Why aren't the supposed 'vision problems' at work lowering those numbers?

K

I was going to suggest the I See Sam books but I see you are already using them--at least for your younger one.

Did you try them for your 10 year old? Using them, along with the cursor has GREATLY improved my 13dd's visual tracking. She was in vision therapy for about a year with little to no progress but that cursor has really helped and at the price (the cost of a 3x5 card and use of a scissors) who can go wrong?

For spelling, I still REALLY like the Apples and Pears spelling from England http://www.prometheantrust.org/soundfoundationsbooks.htm It is super easy to use and the TE could be reused. You could start your 10 year old out now and then once your 7 year old has read through the first 4 sets of I See Sam books you could start him on it.

It's so interesting to me how many on this board will choose the unproven route of vision therapy with something as critical as reading......esp since using scientifically sound reading interventions will result in virtually all kids being proficient readers. Since that's the case, where are the 'vision problems'? Why aren't the supposed 'vision problems' at work lowering those numbers?

I actually am not going the "unproven route of vision therapy" because there is no money for vision therapy. I had the initial evaluation done based on urgings from people on this board, but the logistics of taking him 45 miles away (at the time) twice a week for $75 each time was beyond my limitations.

There is no money for testing or tutoring either, so the "scientifically proven" methods are out, too. If I had money to do one or the other, I would do the tutoring. He is actually on a waiting list for an O-G tutor that will tutor him for 60 hours for free.

interestingly, that's also part and parcel of dyxlexia intervention.

Yes, I realize this. I have read numerous books on the topic and done a tremendous amount of research. This was a method that I found through my reading and research. I would definately consider him dysgraphic, but if he is dyslexic it is fairly mild.

I am doing the best I can do with the circumstances that I have been handed. I even looked into ps and the "interventions" they offered were well below what I am willing and capable of doing.

Did you try them for your 10 year old? Using them, along with the cursor has GREATLY improved my 13dd's visual tracking. She was in vision therapy for about a year with little to no progress but that cursor has really helped and at the price (the cost of a 3x5 card and use of a scissors) who can go wrong?

I will try the notched card for the tracking - I hadn't thought of that! However, his reading level is higher than those books go, I believe.

I will try the notched card for the tracking - I hadn't thought of that! However, his reading level is higher than those books go, I believe.

How is his reading level? If he is missing small words, mixing up saw/was or on/no, etc. then you could have him read easier books with the cursor to make him focus on those words.

The I See Sam books go up to a mid/late 3rd grade level. There are also fluency readers that cover 4th grade but honestly, if he can decode just about all words then I would just use other materials for reading.

There is no money for testing or tutoring either, so the "scientifically proven" methods are out, too. If I had money to do one or the other, I would do the tutoring.

Then go for it:) No need to wait. Many many of us here have become our own O-G tutors using Wilson, Barton, HEC Reading Horizons, Recipe for Reading etc. If you want to do it, you absolutely positively can.

We used a cursor (index card, notched) with dd9.5 for awhile. man oh man she hated that thing. As far as I can tell though, that just meant she really needed it;) It was very helpful in terms of slowing down and paying attention to the individual letters as opposed to jumping around the whole word....or heck, even the whole page.

Now we use the wilson method of a pen or pencil to scoop the words as we go. She's resistant to that too, but not as much.....and she'll spontaneously do it on her own when she needs it.

I'd work on tracking and fluency together, slightly below his normal reading level simply to get those skills in place....then move ahead with all skills intact.

All the best,

K

There is no money for testing or tutoring either, so the "scientifically proven" methods are out, too. If I had money to do one or the other, I would do the tutoring.

Then go for it:) No need to wait. Many many of us here have become our own O-G tutors using Wilson, Barton, HEC Reading Horizons, Recipe for Reading etc. If you want to do it, you absolutely positively can.

We used a cursor (index card, notched) with dd9.5 for awhile. man oh man she hated that thing. As far as I can tell though, that just meant she really needed it;) It was very helpful in terms of slowing down and paying attention to the individual letters as opposed to jumping around the whole word....or heck, even the whole page.

Now we use the wilson method of a pen or pencil to scoop the words as we go. She's resistant to that too, but not as much.....and she'll spontaneously do it on her own when she needs it.

I'd work on tracking and fluency together, slightly below his normal reading level simply to get those skills in place....then move ahead with all skills intact.

All the best,

K

How is his reading level? If he is missing small words, mixing up saw/was or on/no, etc. then you could have him read easier books with the cursor to make him focus on those words.

The I See Sam books go up to a mid/late 3rd grade level. There are also fluency readers that cover 4th grade but honestly, if he can decode just about all words then I would just use other materials for reading.

He doesn't mix up small words and he can decode just about anything. His reading struggles are comprehension related when he reads silently. On his latest achievement testing he was average for his grade level (on reading comprehension.):tongue_smilie:

Then go for it No need to wait. Many many of us here have become our own O-G tutors using Wilson, Barton, HEC Reading Horizons, Recipe for Reading etc. If you want to do it, you absolutely positively can.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited by Renee in FL