Menu

Hard water deposits on faucet and solid surface sink

Tap

My xh just bought a new house with bronze faucets that have a waterfall effect and raised basin bowls. The house was a rental, was sold AS IS, he has no information about the materials, and it was left 'renter deposit clean'. They are absolutely covered in white, hard water residue. It looks like someone took a shaker of powdered sugar to the faucets, bowls and counter top. I am guessing the faucets must spray the water everywhere as it is very clear that they are the center of the white residue. They look terrible. Without knowing the materials, what would you suggest to clean them? The twin bowls look like wood grain, but they are cold like a solid surface material (ie Corian, stone, granite, etc). I don't know anything about them, so I have no idea what it is, other than it must be manufactured because of the wood grain. I am linking a pix but it is for illustration only, not the specific ones. I have hard water (same city) and use glass cleaner or vinegar to keep-up around faucets, specifically to keep the hard water residue in check. I clean them weekly and make sure to get all the details, or it will build up and require a blade to scrape off. Once it is piled up, I have no idea what to do that won't ruin the solid surface material. The counter top is solid surface too, but again....no idea what it is. Any suggestions?

Image result for  wood grain bathroom basin bowls

The faucets are waterfall style something like this  Image result for waterfall faucet bronze

51 minutes ago, KathyBC said:

CLR and a non-scratch scrubbie?

ETA: If I know it is safe I really prefer SOS pads for build-up.

Can you use CLR on natural surface items? If so, that would likely work

Use on plastic, ceramic tile, glass, stainless steel, faucet and shower fixtures, shower doors, fibreglass toilet bowls and sinks.
Do NOT use on natural or synthetic marble, mirrors, wood, coloured grout, wall coverings, painted surfaces, plastic laminates or fabrics.

RATS! 

• Like 1

There are multiple kinds of CLR, so another formulation might work.

Baking soda is also really good for most surfaces, as is Bon Ami or Soft Scrub (basically liquid Bon Ami). You do need to take care not to use a scratchy scrubber with these cleaners. 

• Like 1