Menu

Puppy with parvo.

AbcdeDooDah

My dd18 found a puppy on a remote road two Mondays  ago. It was pretty emaciated but seemed okay otherwise. That Thursday it started throwing up. Got it into vet Friday morning and she has parvo. Stayed in the hospital until this last Monday. Vet said keep it separated from other dogs for 3-4 weeks. They were all expose those first few days. Today is 10 day after first exposure and they are all fine. So puppy is in my bedroom. She is healthy, happy, and very energetic. Can I take her outside? Obviously I would pick up poop, but I also don’t want to put other dogs at risk. I see ranges from 2-4 weeks to keep her separated. Should I wait the 4 weeks?

Leaving for graduation party soon so won’t be on the board much today but will check later. Thanks for any input.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Like 1

The other dogs are fully vaccinated?

I don't know what to say. Even if the other dogs are vaccinated, of course the safe thing to do is keep them separated for another couple of weeks. But I understand why you'd wonder if that's really necessary.

Thanks to you and your DD for taking care of the puppy. Most people wouldn't have been willing to spend that much money on a found puppy, and especially for an illness the pup might not have survived.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

OUtside where? Your own yard, or communal space? If your own yard, and you are only risking your dogs, and you pick up poop well and such, that's probably not super high risk. But I would not take that risk in a communal space where a not fully vaccinated puppy might walk later. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

The other dogs are fully vaccinated?

I don't know what to say. Even if the other dogs are vaccinated, of course the safe thing to do is keep them separated for another couple of weeks. But I understand why you'd wonder if that's really necessary.

Thanks to you and your DD for taking care of the puppy. Most people wouldn't have been willing to spend that much money on a found puppy, and especially for an illness the pup might not have survived.

Yes, the others are vaccinated.

My dd deserves all the credit. I don't know that I would have done it. She's got almost $2000 into her so far. She's got a good heart. Of course, I've got the dog quarantined in my room so that's a lot. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

OUtside where? Your own yard, or communal space? If your own yard, and you are only risking your dogs, and you pick up poop well and such, that's probably not super high risk. But I would not take that risk in a communal space where a not fully vaccinated puppy might walk later. 

I was thinking outside for a walk but I will wait. She's going pretty well on pee pads so far. She's 4.5 months and part pit so I'm a little worried about missing out on early socialization but I don't want any other dogs to get sick so we'll soldier through.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I was thinking outside for a walk but I will wait. She's going pretty well on pee pads so far. She's 4.5 months and part pit so I'm a little worried about missing out on early socialization but I don't want any other dogs to get sick so we'll soldier through.

Oh, yeah, I'd keep her home, sorry! Do you have a yard so she can get used to going on grass, but in a place where other puppies won't be at risk?

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, yeah, I'd keep her home, sorry! Do you have a yard so she can get used to going on grass, but in a place where other puppies won't be at risk?

Not really and no grass here. We'll get through it eventually, I guess. I feel bad for her being cooped up but she's alive so it will be worth it.

• Like 2