Menu

Has anyone used Beast Academy as their *only* math curriculum?

Sometimes I wonder if all the posts about chosing TT and BA is because both seem to be purely online, hands off, and self-grading. My impression that it the goal people are solving for even if it isn't explicitly stated. If you are looking for purely online...is there anything else that is popular among homeschoolers that does that? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calbear said:

Sometimes I wonder if all the posts about chosing TT and BA is because both seem to be purely online, hands off, and self-grading. My impression that it the goal people are solving for even if it isn't explicitly stated. If you are looking for purely online...is there anything else that is popular among homeschoolers that does that? 

Time4Learning?

57 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

True. So you mean what can one do that’s JUST math? Then I can see how TT and BA may be it...

I think you can just do a subject, but I often think people who end up looking at T4learning are looking for all-in-one solutions.

• Like 1

I honestly hate the effect that the online platform for BA has had on the associated FB groups. 

There was a *huge* influx of people using it for exactly that reason, especially once Covid hit. Now many of the parents have no clue what their kids are doing, how material is being presented, or how to help them if they get confused because they’re completely hands-off. Lately I’ve seen numerous posts about what to switch to because their kids have hit the limit of what they can do with little-to-no instruction, but the parents don’t want to teach. It’s really disheartening. 

I’ve almost entirely switched over to AOPS groups now, because those seem to have better maintained their “culture”.

• Like 1

We fiddled around with BA online briefly, but the novelty quickly wore off, and we were back into the books.  My kid would be bored stiff with online curriculum. 

I think BA gets recommended often because it has "brand recognition", and since it's colorful, people think it will be fun and easy.  It's a comic book, how hard could it be! 😉

• Like 3

On 6/1/2021 at 6:16 PM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

I’d like to take a look, if you don’t mind! DS was doing a puzzle with squares today (a year & a half after BA 3B) & was able to recall / use this approach, so it seems to have made an impression! 

I'm sorry, I saw this but was on my way doing other things and then forgot.

It starts on page 51 here: Gattegno Squares, Cubes, and Roots.  It will make a lot of sense if you have the blocks handy, not so much if you're trying to keep the color notations straight in your head. LOL  Ds spent about 2 months exploring the properties in this chapter and doing the activities in it.  He was fascinated.

29 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I'm sorry, I saw this but was on my way doing other things and then forgot.

It starts on page 51 here: Gattegno Squares, Cubes, and Roots.  It will make a lot of sense if you have the blocks handy, not so much if you're trying to keep the color notations straight in your head. LOL  Ds spent about 2 months exploring the properties in this chapter and doing the activities in it.  He was fascinated.

Thank you!

I like their exploration of different methods of finding the cubes & figuring out the most straightforward. I especially like the visual of the cubes of a difference! I used to have a set of c-rods, but sold them before we moved back Stateside (luckily I still have those colors memorized 😉). I’ll see if I can’t borrow a set from someone because the physical manipulation could be valuable for building visualization skills; it pulls things back out of abstraction just a bit. It would be really useful just before BA 5A, where there’s a large section on surface area & area of  “painted” 3D shapes. 

I’m interested to see if the square root method is very natural for him, since it & squaring are inverses. I almost wonder if he wouldn’t figure this out himself if I presented the task. Hmm… 💭 

1 minute ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

Thank you!

I like their exploration of different methods of finding the cubes & figuring out the most straightforward. I especially like the visual of the cubes of a difference! I used to have a set of c-rods, but sold them before we moved back Stateside (luckily I still have those colors memorized 😉). I’ll see if I can’t borrow a set from someone because the physical manipulation could be valuable for building visualization skills; it pulls things back out of abstraction just a bit. It would be really useful just before BA 5A, where there’s a large section on surface area & area of  “painted” 3D shapes. 

I’m interested to see if the square root method is very natural for him, since it & squaring are inverses. I almost wonder if he wouldn’t figure this out himself if I presented the task. Hmm… 💭 

I guess this may just be me, personally, but I don’t mind abstraction after something has been integrated well. At least, I’ve never had issues working like that.

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I guess this may just be me, personally, but I don’t mind abstraction after something has been integrated well. At least, I’ve never had issues working like that.

I don’t either, but he hasn’t worked with 3D solids much yet. That chapter will be his first formal introduction to volume, though of course the idea has come up in conversation & whatnot. Heck, I think I remember a MathStart picture book from years ago discussing it as a way to estimate for one of those “Guess the Number to Win” contests! 

• Like 1

Just now, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

I don’t either, but he hasn’t worked with 3D solids much yet. That chapter will be his first formal introduction to volume, though of course the idea has come up in conversation & whatnot. Heck, I think I remember a MathStart picture book from years ago discussing it as a way to estimate for one of those “Guess the Number to Win” contests! 

Ah yeah, we actually haven’t done any volume yet, either!! So we’ll need to be hands-on for a good while.