Menu

Incoming 4th grader new to Singapore math. How to fill in gaps over summer?

My son will be attending a charter next year after doing public school. The new school uses Singapore math. I had it take the placement tests and while he passed there are some topics he didn’t learn whatsoever yet this last year despite it being the 3A and 3B and his 3rd grade year is just about over. I went ahead and purchased the math dimensions 3A and I’m wondering how I could go about completing that over the summer or if that’s a good plan. How many lessons each week is normal? Is it even a good curriculum for acceleration? I’m also looking thru the text and finding some things a bit confusing. I really like the way Khan Academy videos break things down and not having that is hard.

Welcome! I see by your post count you are new.

1. It is NEVER a good idea to try to catch up math by "accelerating" through a new program, or re-do of the original program that didn't click.

2. If the student did not click with Singapore 3A/B last year, it's unlikely the student will click with 4A/B next year, even if the student does remedial work over the summer to "catch up". (So, talk to the charter school about options for Math, would be my suggestion.)

3. I'd strongly suggest for this summer hiring an in-person 1-on-1 tutor who specializes in math to help the student "catch up" and get solid with math topics, to be prepared for next year at the charter school.

BEST of luck!

One option if you are working with him is to use Math Mammoth topical units for the types of problems that he did not do well on in the Singapore placement test.

https://www.mathmammoth.com/blue-series

You don't have to buy the whole set.

There are video lessons that go with many of the topics: https://www.mathmammoth.com/videos/  I find that sometimes googling the topic title along with Math Mammoth brings the video lesson up more readily than digging through the lists. 

Math Mammoth has a similar approach to Singapore, but the instruction is more built in to the lessons.

Have you used the Singapore extra practice book?  All my kids have got bogged down on book three especially with the long division.  I have actually modified it a bit for the last kid and not expected him to get long division and it’s been ok.  With my youngest I just let the book take a bit longer because by that point I’d learned there’s no point rushing math.

edited because I just reread your post and realised you haven’t used Singapore before - for some reason I thought you had.  I think Singapore definitely tackles some things a little earlier than others.  I would definitely look at the extra practice books and work through them (maybe even start back a grade if needed).  You want to be really really solid in place value concepts.  I also found my kids need to have multiplication facts memorised on top of a good conceptual understanding of multiplication to move forward from that point.

Edited by Ausmumof3