Menu

Recording and/or repeating failed dual enrollment classes

I have a few questions about reporting dual enrollment classes and final senior transcripts.  

My son  is a graduating senior, accepted to several colleges and has committed to the college of his choice, which offered him a merit scholarship.  

Unfortunately, he suffered a relationship disappointment this spring and he allowed it to affect his dual  enrollment studies severely.  I knew it was an issue, but was balancing the line between encouraging him to do his school work despite not feeling like it and letting him take responsibility for himself and learn how to  manage his studies without mom's  help, which was one  of the goals of dual enrollment classes this year, before going away to college next year.  Unfortunately, he hid from us just how much this was affecting him and what a hole he dug for himself with his classes until it was too late.  If we had known, we would have advised him to take the W in a few classes, but we didn't realize in time.  So, he got an F in two classes as well  as a D, C, and B.  By contrast, in the Fall semester, his grades were two As and three Bs.  Ironically, the two classes he failed were the classes he got a As in during the Fall.  So the issue was truly just not turning in assignments or doing the work, not a difficulty in understanding the material.  

Over the past few weeks, we've come to realize just how much he was struggling, and are getting him mental health help.  As of right now, he *really* wants to still go away to college in the fall.  This is not something we are pushing on him.  We are willing for him to take a gap year or change course altogether.   But if  he really wants to pursue this still, we want to support him.  We do want him to know that one big stumble does not have to mean giving up on all his dreams.  

So, my questions are these.  First, his classes were taken at a University, and most of them are for-credit classes that will transfer.  So, his new University will see this transcript.  What would be the best approach for discussing the spring grades with his new school?  Should we call the admissions office and discuss it preemptively before they get the transcript?  Or wait until they ask?  I've  done the calculations, and the low grades this semester will not drop his GPA below the threshold needed for his merit award.  But I'm sure it will not  look good to them that he did so poorly this past semester.  

Also, do I need to record his two failing grades on his high school transcript?  He did not need either of these particular classes to graduate.  I am asking primarily from the perspective of continuing to send transcripts with scholarship applications if requested.  I don't want to misrepresent him of course, but also don't want to hurt him unnecessarily.  I am not really sure what the protocol is for Failing or Withdrawing from a dual enrollment class,  with respect to homeschool high school transcripts.  I do know that this will be a permanent part of his college transcript.  

Finally, one of the classes he failed was Calculus.  He will be retaking Calculus next Fall anyway.  That was always the intention, for this year's math to help prep  him for next year.  But, I've considered having him retake calculus this summer, just to help rebuild his confidence, as well as to show the university that he takes this seriously.  However, because of other prior commitments this summer, he cannot take it at a CC or the dual enrollment university.  So, it would be a homeschool at home Calculus class, which we do have the curriculum for.  Which means, the "replacement" class would not be official or reflected on the college transcript, just on the homeschool transcript.  I'm trying to decide  if this is worthwhile.  I don't  want it to look like the dual enrollment class failed him, but mom says it's all good, ykwim?  Part of me just wants to have him unofficially retake calculus this summer to help prepare him, but not worry about it being on a transcript..

Any advice or other ideas are very welcome!  
Thanks!

Yes, you  he should contact the college he was planning to go to in the fall and let them know about the grades. Admissions offers are usually extended with a condition that a significant drop in grades senior year may be grounds for reconsideration. He will want to get ahead of this with a letter informing them of the situation and any mitigating circumstances. If he is planning to retake the courses soon, he should say so. If his plan is to retake them at the new college, he can say that.

If he is asking for a deferral for health reasons, he should do that soon. His college should have guidance on their policy on deferrals.

How you treat the high school transcript is up to you. In essence you are the school administrator for your homeschool. There isn't a hard and fast rule about how dual credit courses go onto high school transcripts. But you may want to consider how you frame whatever decision you make. You policy might be to only list required courses, or courses that are C and above. I wouldn't just pretend the semester didn't happen (and this might mean he loses scholarships).

On the Calculus course, I think you have two separate issues. One is how you represent the grade on the transcript. You are probably correct in not wanting to replace a CC failing grade with an at home make up grade. The other issue is how he prepares himself for his next encounter with Calculus. That could be done at home or through self-study, but it's reasonable to wonder if he is in a good frame of mind to do this without at least a tutor.

Gently offered (because I'm sure your mama heart is feeling very battered right now), consider counseling to help him address not only how he's feeling over the grades, but also the feelings that contributed to the poor grades in the first place.  So many college students report anxiety, depression, and suicidal feelings. I would be very reluctant about sending him away in the fall without professional assistance in building coping skills or diagnosing potential depression or other issues.

Deep virtual hugs. This is a hard thing to parent through. Your family is not alone in having an experience like this. It's not a failure to openly discuss the possibility of depression or the need for help.

• Like 2

He needs to reach out to admissions now at the school where he deposited and inform them. Yes, sometimes admission offers get rescinded. But usually they are not. But if he doesn't reach out, he's increasing the chances that they'll consider rescinding the offer.

• Like 3