Menu

middle school robotics club

My very tech-y high schooler has been approached about starting a robotics club at a very small local middle school, grades 5-8.  A friend who started a FIRST Lego League team at her kids' school said that it was a fantastic experience, but just a ton of work.    I think that this school should start with a club, and then perhaps do the competition a year or two down the road if there is interest and enough parental support.

Could anyone point us to resources or ideas for what this club might look like, how much it would cost to get started, etc?  DS is more than capable of handling the teaching side, but I need to help him -- and the head of school -- think this all though first before committing. 

Edited by JennyD

You are wise to approach this with caution because it is expensive and it is time-consuming.  I found this link that may be helpful.  The lego robot kit is pricey and you'll need a table to run the program.  There's also this whole other part to it that doesn't involve the robot thing at all.  It's like an extra science fair project.  

I coached a small homeschooled team (4 students) and it was a great experience.  The FIRST organization really does stand behind it's principles.  But it just got to be too much for me, and I could not sustain it beyond a year.

However, I would encourage you to go ahead and plunge in and participate in a competition straight away.  You'll get a better understanding of how it all works once you participate and you'll be up that learning curve much more quickly.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, daijobu said:

I coached a small homeschooled team (4 students) and it was a great experience.  The FIRST organization really does stand behind it's principles.  But it just got to be too much for me, and I could not sustain it beyond a year.

This is almost verbatim what my friend said, too.  

The HOS has big dreams and very much wants the kids to do competitions, but I'm worried about DS getting in over his head.  He has a lot of schoolwork to do, not to mention his own extracurriculars.  

Saw this on Facebook and thought of your thread 

“Middle schoolers, are you looking for something to do with your friends or school club? Check out Zero Robotics's computer programming competition for middle school students! This program is FREE for all students.

Dates: Aug 2 - Aug 20, 2021
Who: Rising 5th graders through rising 9th graders
Learn more at http://zerorobotics.mit.edu/

Learn to code satellites and compete against other teams virtually this summer. All you need to participate is a team, a computer with internet access, and a desire to learn more about STEM! Participants that complete this year’s summer program will be guaranteed a slot in summer 2022, where student developed code will run on the International Space Station! 

Sign up today at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfY7QyZ5DGeRfvKSHSdfsxJSzZe57HYsYTESDvChxX39gj4Vw/viewform?usp=sf_link”

• Thanks 1