Menu

Looking for lots of narrative non-fiction for a 6th grader

rzberrymom

My 6th grader fills her free time with as much narrative non-fiction as she can get her hands on. Things similar to how Joy Hakim writes. Can anyone help me find books to leave stacked around the house for her? Any subject works—just looking for that Story of the World/Joy Hakim type of narrative style.

Also:

(these are some titles my DC enjoyed, but for full disclosure, I have not read them)

Scientists in the Field (series)

The Circuit, Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child

We were there , too! Young People in the History of the US (Philip Hoose)

A Brave Boy and a Good Soldier, John C. C. Hill and the TX Expedition to Mier (Mary Amberson)

Children of the Great Depression (Russel Freedman)

The Whydah: a pirate ship feared, wrecked, and found (Martin Sandler)

The Impossible Rescue - the true story of an amazing artic adventure (Martin Sandler)

sorry for the typos!

Edited by Porridge
  • Like 1

If you are ok with vintage books that may use some dated terminology, the Landmarks of American History and World Landmarks series are really engaging. They were originally published in the 50s-60s and some have been reprinted, but a fair number of the vintage ones are reasonably priced used.  Here's an article that tells a little more about the series: https://www.historians.org/publications-and-directories/perspectives-on-history/october-2016/generation-past-the-story-of-the-landmark-books

• Like 1

When my dd was that stage, I had a lot of luck rabbit trailing on amazon. So I'd find one good author (Susan Campbell Bartoletti for instance) and then just see what amazon recommended. Jim Murphy, you've already gotten good names. 

Have you tried the Hub Lexile book search? https://hub.lexile.com/  That's how I find stuff for my ds.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

Albert Marrin -- some of his books are at the grade 5-7 level:
- Years of Dust: The Story of the Dust Bowl
- Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People
- Cowboys, Indians, and Gunslingers: The Story of the Cattle Kingdom
- Dr. Jenner and the Speckled Monster: Discovery of the Small Pox Vaccine
- Little Monsters: The Creatures That Live On Us and In Us

Steven Sheinkin -- some of his books are at the grade 5-7 level:
- Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War
- Which Way to the Wild West: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About Westward Expansion
- King George: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the American Revolution
- Bomb: The Race to Build--And Steal--The World's Most Dangerous Weapon
- Lincoln's Graverobbers
- Fallout: Spies, Superbombs, and the Ultimate Cold War Showdown
- Born to Fly: The First Women's Air Race Across America
- The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism, and Treachery

• Like 1