Menu

nm

Drama Llama

Apples and onions, sliced. salt and pepper.

apricot jam with bbq sauce 

honey and equal parts water,  little bit of apple cider vineger, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Thicken with corn starch when they’re done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Yes, but going out to buy a sous vide machine, would be at least as much work as going out to buy a ranch dressing packet.  

It was you who said (and I quote), "SIL who is a wonderful cook, and has a very well stocked kitchen..."

One might think that a "very well-stocked" kitchen in the 2020s would include something as fundamental to good eating as a Sous Vide circulator, for land's sake, but now you know precisely what to get her for Christmas :tongue:

Crock Pots are great for cooking fatty hard-working/tough muscles--but that's not Pork Chops.

I'll ignore the talk about cream soups and packets of ranch dressing, as I know trolling when I see it. LOL.

Bill

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Actually for all I know she has one.  In case she doesn’t do you have a suggestion for one?

I realized after I wrote this that she has an instant pot not dedicated to “sterilizing” medical equipment and PPE. So I could have used that.

I expected that the big brands (Anova and the Chef Steps (now Breville Joule) would be pretty cheap right now. Prices were heading down pre-Covid, but they've gone up instead. I almost ordered a Chef Steps Joule (stainless botton) for $125 on sale. It was the one I lusted for, despite no onboard dials (you need to set with phone), as it is sleek and powerful. Currently it is $250. That's insane IMO.

I have an Anova  (1000 Watt if memory serves) that was discovered new in a box by Mrs Spy Car at a thrift store for $20-30. Works great, but on the large size for storage. While it has WiFi, that and Bluetooth are almost useless features IMO (except for the Joule, which has no dials).

After using the Anova for a long time, I think the only features that are really desirable are an easy way to set the temp and on/off. Adding "duration" is a minus IMO.

1000-1100 watts seems ideal.

Cheap is good. All these do is heat and circulate water. Apps and internet access don't add anything worth paying for IMO.

All one needs is to be able to set the "temp" and to turn it "on" and have it stay on. That's it. 

There are a bunch of new models on Amazon. Here are some that draw my eye:

1) Instapot has an 800W currently for $80. No "internet" connectivity (good). Default duration (not good, but a surmountable issue). I think it is big. At 800W it is a little on the weaker side. Still a contender. Points for brand recognition.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-SSV800-Accu-Circulator/dp/B07898VZN9/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2MXDBAG8961R3&dchild=1&keywords=sous+vide+cooker&qid=1617900460&refinements=p_36%3A1253525011&rnid=386465011&s=home-garden&sprefix=sous+vide%2Cgarden%2C260&sr=1-4

2) Monoprice has a similar 800W unit that's currently $55.

****3) VP Cok currently @ $56 w/ a sales coupon. At that price, I think that's a winner if one can accept a "generic" Chinese brand. on the huge size (like my Anova) so storage is a PITA. Rated at 1000W, but measures 1100W. It is an "Amazon Choice." Not fancy, but this one is the nice price/function option IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Immersion-Temperature-VPCOK/dp/B07HJ2F6JN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sous+vide+cooker+vpcok&qid=1617903136&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

4) Fityou probably made in same factory as VPCok. At current price $53, I'd go for the VPCook, but I'd save $20. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fityou-Immersion-Circulator-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B081VFRTRC/ref=sr_1_27?dchild=1&keywords=sous+vide&qid=1617901625&s=home-garden&sr=1-27

Comparison YouTube video VP Cok vs  Fityo:

7 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

That looks delicious and kinda my “style” but for me the crockpot is for when you need to cook at 6 a.m. because you’ll be going flat out all day and you plan to drop 1/3 of the food at someone else’s house and have another 1/3 ready to eat 5 minutes after you walk in the door from somewhere at some yet to be determined time and feed the freezer with the last 1/3.   That meal doesn’t fit those parameters. 

Also people tell me not to let my kids drink out of plastic or freeze my food in plastic or buy baby food that comes in plastic but I am supposed to serve them dinner I cooked in ziploc? 

I've moved over to reusable silicone bags. That can't kill you, right?

I'm not against slow cookers--quite to the contrary, especially under the circumstances you indicate--but not for today's ultra-lean pork chops.

Sous Vide pork chops, steaks, and fish are the bomb. 

Bill