Menu

Apologia General Science vs. Master Books Physical World

Bay Lake Mom

I am having a difficult time deciding between Apologia's General Science and Master Book's God's Design for the Physical World.   This would be for my 7th grade daughter.  She likes the idea of the Master Books Physical World because they learn about roller coasters in one section.  I like the idea of covering a broad range of general science topics, and Apologia has a great reputation. 

Does anyone have experience with both of these? or at least have a strong opinion on one or the other?  Almost all of the reviews I find for anything online nowadays are simply unboxing reviews.  I wish people would post reviews after they've used a product for 6+ months.  But, that's another post...

I haven't used either of these yet but have done extensive research on them both, spoken to the companies, and even had them email me additional samples of how/what they teach on specific topics. You may already know this, but the masterbooks is just a repackage of AIG God's design and includes a lot of apologetics which some love and others don't. It also isn't lab heavy the way many others are so it is a good fit for a student who prefers to just get it done. Apologia has beautiful books. However, depending on which edition you're looking at, there are known problems/ errors in the text. Of the two available editions, I'd use Jay Wiles second edition over the newer 3rd edition, hands down. Sorry, I'm probably not helping much because both curriculums are great but each for different reasons.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

I can't say enough good things about Dr. Wile's textbooks! They have given me the confidence to know that I am giving my kids a great science education without having to teach it myself. With a lot of kids, I knew I had to concentrate my energies in areas where I am strong, and science is not one of those 😉

I have used God's Design for several years and there are things I like about it and things I don't, but it definitely is written at an elementary level, while Dr. Wile's courses are a rather large step up in reading and comprehension level and difficulty of concepts. For us, God's Design is too easy for a 7th grader, but Dr. Wile's are just right.

Dr. Wile sells all of his editions of his books at his website Berean Builders.

• Like 1

I had the 2nd ed. Of Apologia Gen Sci (Wile) last year. I know people sing it’s praises, but I could not like it. I tried. It was so wordy. My daughter shut down and absorbed nothing. I had a hard time enjoying it as well. I’m sure it’s a great resource, but it was just not for us. 

I like the looks of the newer edition though. I’ve read the samples online and it seems like we would enjoy it. I really like the focus on skills such as note-taking. 

I’m leaning more towards the Gen Sci (3rd Ed). Someone made a comment about MB being too elementary in reading level, and I could see that. It’s doesn’t appear to be nearly as challenging as Apologia. 

On 4/3/2021 at 10:02 AM, Lovinglife123 said:

I’m looking into his second edition, which is out of print but I can find it used.  Is there any reason to not do the old edition?

Only if it isn't your style. The content is solid, but it really boils down to what the student learns best from. I love Apologia, but sadly DS does not and when I showed him Berean Builders, he literally begged not to do it because of the graphic pictures of internal human anatomy (he's squeemish). He prefers R&S science and learns well from it so we will continue with it until highschool.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1