Menu

Can not enroll without transcripts, school is closed

Is there a way that I can enroll my children in school without providing their transcripts?
This has been a difficult situation for me and now it's feeling like a roller coaster ride.
I have been trying to enroll my children in school for the last month and all I have been getting are doors closing in my face.
I recently moved to another state and have been trying to enroll my children in a school district that is in our area.
I called 3 schools and they all told me the same thing: to fill out the enrollment forms online and to bring their immunization records, birth certificates, last report cards and school transcripts.
I called up to the school and no one answered, I went up to the school and the school was closed. The lady in the office also told me that she left several voice messages and called several times requesting my children's last report cards and transcripts. I contacted the Board of Education and they said that the school that my children went to is a charter school and they do not deal with charter schools. Basically they are saying that it's in my hands to get the last report card and transcripts. It's been a month and still nothing has come about this. I tried to enroll them in K-12 online school and they said the same thing, without those transcripts there is nothing that they can do. What do I do? Would I be able to order homeschooling books online and just homeschool myself? 

This seems like an odd situation, and the solution is likely state-specific. Can you reach out to parents in your neighborhood to see if they know the school's hours and who the best contacts are? I know schools around here have some interesting logistics due to the pandemic.

If you decide to homeschool, people here on this board can give advice, but it's a pretty intense commitment. I understand being very frustrated with the local schools, but if that's your only reason to homeschool, it might not be enough of a motivation to get you through the hard times.

• Like 2

That's weird. The customary requirement is immunizations and proof of residence for enrollment, and transcripts/test scores for high school placement. The district should have the kids start school while they're waiting for other paperwork, because once they reside in the new place, the truancy clock starts ticking. Most districts will even let them start for 10 days while you gather proof of immunization.

Do you have copies of report cards or anything you can submit while waiting for official transcripts?

I would also consider contacting your new state's department of education to ask them about the relevant state law.  Perhaps they could direct you to something you could show the local district (section of the state law, etc) that will remind them of their legal obligation to educate all students living in the district.  Students enter school as newcomers to the country with no formal education, and schools still have to accept them.  The one thing they could be a stickler about is high school level work.  If you can't provide a transcript, they would be under no obligation to honor any credits previously earned. 

In terms of tracking down the transcript or school records, another tactic to try would be contacting the state department of education in the old state.  There may be of some help tracking down information for closed schools.

Are you enrolling your student in public school?  Public schools are obligated to enroll your student if you are in their district, transcript or no.  Do your best to get the documents you can.  Submit them, and tell them your situation.  I'm sure it's not the first time a school has closed, and certainly very common during the pandemic.  

Transcripts are probably more for placement than admissions.  Ask if there is a placement test.