Menu

"Classical" Science Program?

Aletheia Academy

Can anyone recommend a science program that follows a four-year cycle of subjects as outlined in WTM? I'm not much of a science person, and if there is a cohesive program available, I would prefer not to reinvent that wheel. I'm particularly interested in grammar-stage curricula.

I like the Apologia texts, but it's the sequence issue...

Suggestions? Anyone?

Thank you!

I've been very pleased with the Apologia Elementary series. My boys have really enjoyed the books too.

http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/science.html

The series doesn't follow TWTM cycle perfectly, but for the grammar stage, I can't think of a better program. The author is working on a Chemistry/Physics book and an Anatomy book. I think I saw a release date of 2009, but I don't know if that was for one book or both.

We tried a lot of different science curriculums in the early grammar stage. I think we were most fond of the Living Learning Books series. It follows the WTM 4-year cycle fairly well. It seemed easier to digest and implement for the shorter attention spans.

The other curriculum, (Apologia, God's Design, and Christian Kids) seemed too formal and geared for children who are a bit older than your 5 & 3yo.

http://www.livinglearningbooks.com/

This might not work-out timing wise for you, but I am in the process of writing a grammar-stage science curriculum. Book one is at the publisher and being edited right now and I should have the draft of book two done by the end of April. I am not sure what the time-table is right now, but I was hoping the books (at least the first one) would be ready by early summer. It is actually a 5 year-ish cycle. The layout is as follows:

book 1 - Kingdom Animalia

book 2 - Kingdom Plantae (with some Fungi and other thrown in)

book 3 - earth science and astronomy

book 4 - chemistry and physics

book 5 - human anatomy and introduction to microbiology

That's the plan for now anyway. It will be a very hands on approach, and I am including activities, experiments, and such so that it would be able to be used with children of multiple ages. I'll let you know when any previews or reviews are available. I may also ask some here to test some activities and experiments and pre-read some lessons for me to give me your feedback.

Thanks for letting me promote myself. :)

I've been very pleased with the Apologia Elementary series. My boys have really enjoyed the books too.

http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/science.html

The series doesn't follow TWTM cycle perfectly, but for the grammar stage, I can't think of a better program. The author is working on a Chemistry/Physics book and an Anatomy book. I think I saw a release date of 2009, but I don't know if that was for one book or both.

Yes, what she said. :)

Kate:cool:

At this point, I plan on having Earth Science and Astronomy availble in April and Chemistry and Physics available by next summer. I don't know about logic and rhetoric yet as my dd is not near that stage yet, but it's certainly a possibility at least two or three years in the making. Feel free to PM if you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.