Menu

MTHFR regimes

IfIOnly

I just recently tested positive for heterogeneous MTHFR C677t, which is a 35% reduction in enzyme activity. I'm starting on a certain protocol (already feeling better) that I've read about from several sources but am still researching as well. Thank you!

Note: The infographic is not for pregnancy, but for general health maintenance when you're not TTC or pregnant when needs increase. Just the best thing I could find to share the info. I'm doing the "low risk" supps minus the tmg- still looking into that. Have not tested for homocysteine levels yet!

Edit: by the way, these are the nutrients MTHFR people need to get their body methylating well again, from what I understand. MTHFR does not effect just folate absorption, but B12, B6, B2 and more!

FB_IMG_1615569278401.jpg

Edited by IfIOnly

You might do some labs. I have that gene (and some other issues in the methylation cycle,e tc.) and my b12 levels were fine when we tested them. Zinc was already in my multi, and I do better on P5P (because of a different genetic defect) rather than a methylated b6 even. Actually I don't tolerate methylated vitamins. 

The TMG is interesting. I don't tolerate methyl donors, even though I have the MTHFR defect, sigh, because my other defects cancel it out. But for someone who is straight MTHFR, no COMT, it's handy to have a methyl donor source, sure. Quercitin is another for when you just need some methyls in your life. I've been using orange juice the last couple weeks doing HBOT. The stress of it has been driving my methyl levels down, so I drink the OJ to get them back up.

If you run your raw data through knowyourgenetics.com you can sort out which form of b12. There are several and your combo of genes matters.

• Thanks 1

My kid who is homozygous for MTHFR did not test out of normal range for homocysteine levels when she had a blood test a few years ago.  I am planning to have her tested again soon, so we'll see if it's changed.

My other kid is also homozygous for MTHFR, but she has historically been such a mellow kid with no apparent "issues" other than milk intolerance.  (She hasn't had her blood tested.)  So other than avoiding folic acid in vitamins, I haven't done anything to address her MTHFR, until recently.  She's been kind of a butt lately, so I thought, let's try giving her the new supplement I bought for the other kid.  Not yet sure if it makes a difference.

I am heterozygous also for this.  I had not really considered doing anything about it, though I do take whole foods vitamins with folate vs. folic acid.  Hmm....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PeterPan said:

You might do some labs. I have that gene (and some other issues in the methylation cycle,e tc.) and my b12 levels were fine when we tested them. Zinc was already in my multi, and I do better on P5P (because of a different genetic defect) rather than a methylated b6 even. Actually I don't tolerate methylated vitamins. 

The TMG is interesting. I don't tolerate methyl donors, even though I have the MTHFR defect, sigh, because my other defects cancel it out. But for someone who is straight MTHFR, no COMT, it's handy to have a methyl donor source, sure. Quercitin is another for when you just need some methyls in your life. I've been using orange juice the last couple weeks doing HBOT. The stress of it has been driving my methyl levels down, so I drink the OJ to get them back up.

If you run your raw data through knowyourgenetics.com you can sort out which form of b12. There are several and your combo of genes matters.

I just went on knowyourgenetics.com and uploaded my kids' and my 23andme data.  Out comes a list of supplements a mile long.  Is there a practical way to prioritize and summarize these recommendations?  It's hard enough to get my kids to take the supplements I'm forcing on them now (5 for one kid, 3-4 for the other 1x per day).  As for me, I think this is the first time I looked at my genes this way, and they are saying I have stuff to address.  My recommendations are actually 4 pages longer than the ones for my "challenging" kid.  Hmm.  Something to look into, but a lot of noise to sort through.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SKL said:

I just went on knowyourgenetics.com and uploaded my kids' and my 23andme data.  Out comes a list of supplements a mile long.  Is there a practical way to prioritize and summarize these recommendations?  It's hard enough to get my kids to take the supplements I'm forcing on them now (5 for one kid, 3-4 for the other 1x per day).  As for me, I think this is the first time I looked at my genes this way, and they are saying I have stuff to address.  My recommendations are actually 4 pages longer than the ones for my "challenging" kid.  Hmm.  Something to look into, but a lot of noise to sort through.

I'm not recommending the site for the supplement list. I agree it's crazy, lol. There should be a handy color coded chart, and it highlights some genes people may have missed. It also misses some important ones like the TPH2 gene. (TPH2=converts tryptophan to 5HTP, ie. you need to take 5HTP) The KYG report should also include an analysis to help you determine your form of b12. 

Well I think stuff to address is in context. You have the context of the other genes (which might balance out some issues and make them less noticeable) and also the context of what makes it become an issue. I'm not sure if it holds water, but there's this idea floated around that genes activate. I think at the very least someone might become depleted or have their system so stressed (from whatever) that something that was previously a mild issue is now a significant issue. 

The descriptions of each gene and why it matters is also helpful. For me, I had a number of things flagged and just have tried to work through them a bit at a time. Some I still don't understand. 

Fwiw, my list of issues and genes tripped is messy because I was kind of hitting both sides of the methylation genes (over and under). So it looks messy but then I balance out reasonably functional. And a gene they don't run on there (indirect gene NBPF3 and the RS4654748) was really really important for me. Also that TPH2. Both those made major differences. Now you treat them in the context of the methylation status because 5HTP (for the TPH2 defect) will drop methyls, etc. 

Sorry, I'm fighting whatever bug my ds had yesterday. I don't think it's anything too interesting, but I have a light fever and am going to retire. Have fun sorting it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SKL said:

She's been kind of a butt lately,

I'm wondering what this means? I think girls mask mental health and have coping skills, but it's so nice when you finally get the treatment. But I'm not sure saying everything is MTHFR gets you there, even when homozygous, kwim? The NBPF3 is powerful too.

Edited by PeterPan

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I'm wondering what this means? I think girls mask mental health and have coping skills, but it's so nice when you finally get the treatment. But I'm not sure saying everything is MTHFR gets you there, even when homozygous, kwim? The NBPF3 is powerful too.

LOL our "little Buddha" has been pushing back more vocally vs. her typical quiet stubbornness.  Could just be the age-expected push for independence.  But since she is homozygous for MTHFR, I figured, no harm in taking a supplement (OTC) designed for that.  It's basically just extra B vitamins.

This is all way above my pay grade.  I can't drop my job, my kids' homework help needs, my exercise, and my laundry to go full time on a supplement study.  I'm just doing the best I can.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SKL said:

LOL our "little Buddha" has been pushing back more vocally vs. her typical quiet stubbornness. 

Ever wonder if this is anxiety?

18 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

gene NBPF3 and the RS4654748

Quick trick. You have saved to your computer presumably a txt file that is the raw data. You can open this file and search it (command F on my mac). So search for that RS4654748 and see what pops up. That's how I search things. I find a gene online, find the RS#, and I just search the raw data, zip zoom. 

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Ever wonder if this is anxiety?

Quick trick. You have saved to your computer presumably a txt file that is the raw data. You can open this file and search it (command F on my mac). So search for that RS4654748 and see what pops up. That's how I search things. I find a gene online, find the RS#, and I just search the raw data, zip zoom. 

Kid1 - CC

Kid2 - TT

What does it mean?

So @SKL TT is associated with normal B6 and CC is associated with the lowest levels of B6. B6 and zinc balance, but as the charts pointed out above you don't need a ton of zinc. The amount in my multi is usually enough for me. But together they can drop anxiety. It's just if you are homozygous for that gene (CC) you might want to look at the P5P form instead. I now take it 3 times and day and my anxiety is just POOF. It's unbelievable.

I agree it seems complicated. Just take it one piece at a time. You try something, see how it works, and if it's not quite right you look at context and ask why. I just keep nibbling at it.

Edited by PeterPan