Menu

Harold Jacobs Elementary Algebra follow up

Jann in TX, 

Dd has done Elementary Algebra, Math: a human endeavor and is working through Harold Jacobs Geometry (1e) this year. I'm trying to figure out what I need to cover in order to be able to give her credit for Algebra 1 and 2 and what to call the human endeavor book on a transcript. This child is one that needs to move slowly through the material in order to understand it. Next year is senior year for her. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

You might want to start a new thread since this one is such a zombie.

I'm not sure what specific topics you need to add to call it Algebra II, but I'm thinking it's going to be a lot. IIRC, Jacobs Algebra only has a chapter or two with some very introductory Algebra II content. I would personally make Human Endeavor its own course. I adore Human Endeavor, by the way. It's brilliant. But you probably need to get a Foersters or other textbook or enroll your student in an online course to honestly award a credit called Algebra II.

Mathematical Explorations? Special topics in math? 

This is a helpful review, and there is a class (MAT 1160G) Eastern Illinois University that uses this book and is actually called Mathematics: A Human Endeavor!

It’s a great book and would make a great class....I worked through most of it with one child and keep trying to find time to work on it with another. This is a good reminder. However, I don’t think it’s really Algebra 2. The graphing (as I recall) is very basic plus conic sections. Most of it is not about algebra.

I do know that Harold Jacobs suggests moving on to Foerster after completing his Algebra and Geometry. There is no way his MHE and what is in his Algebra text would constitute an Algebra II credit. I did use MHE and would consider MHE more on the level of a pre-algebra course and outside of the "traditional" high school math sequence. Without pulling my copy off the shelf, I also remember that the first 1/3 of his Algebra text is pre-algebra topics. 

• Like 1