Menu

Delayed History Classes at WTMA

TheAttachedMama

Hello Everyone,

I was previously planning to sign my daughter up for a history class with MPOA, but I decided against it this year at the last minute.  (Long story!).  I ended up signing her up for a class with WTMA with  Mr. Caro.   The only downside is that all of the "live" class spots were filled, so I had to do a delayed class.   I am worried that the class will be boring for my daughter because there is no live interaction.   Has anyone else had any experience with delayed classes?   Do you find that they were worth the money?

Thanks so much,

Cathy

My ds took a delayed writing class at WTMA, and it didn't go well for him. He was not motivated, and missed handing in several assignments (that was partly my fault for not checking in on him), so the next year, I signed him up for a live class, and it was much better. He was in grade 10 the year he did badly. I think it could work for a motivated student. 

Not specific to WTMA history but the few times we have tried delayed classes my kids just did not enjoy them. Mine really needed the live component to feel engaged. We really made only very limited use of asynchronous classes because my kids felt so strongly about it. 

Are you on a waitlist for Mr Caro's class? Hopefully you could get in off the waitlist. My ds who is a senior this year took several classes with Mr. Caro in middle and high school and Mr. Caro is his favorite teacher ever. 

15 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Not specific to WTMA history but the few times we have tried delayed classes my kids just did not enjoy them. Mine really needed the live component to feel engaged. We really made only very limited use of asynchronous classes because my kids felt so strongly about it. 

Are you on a waitlist for Mr Caro's class? Hopefully you could get in off the waitlist. My ds who is a senior this year took several classes with Mr. Caro in middle and high school and Mr. Caro is his favorite teacher ever. 

I am.  There is one person ahead of me for this particular section.  

Does anyone happen to know from past experience the odds of me getting into this class?  

I guess I am wondering if I should find a back up plan?  🙂

1 hour ago, TheAttachedMama said:

Does anyone happen to know from past experience the odds of me getting into this class?  

I guess I am wondering if I should find a back up plan?

I'm not involved in their history classes, but to perhaps give you a small peace of mind, after we signed up for classes recently they sent out an email saying that last year the wait lists all cycled through by August, sometimes twice. There could be a lot of reasons for this, but over all I think that is favorable news.