Menu

Embedded tutor—should I call this work/study on transcript? And what to call it on a resume?

My DD was asked to be the embedded tutor for a Chemistry 201A class at the community college where she’s dual-enrolled. She attends the online class each week, the professor lectures for 45 minutes or so, and then they go into break-out rooms and she helps the students work through problems for the rest of the class time. The professor is traveling for the semester, and so his internet connection often goes in and out and I hear my DD in there lecturing them when he disappears. And then she has 8 hours/week of drop-in tutoring for the class.

This has been a great experience for her, but it’s taking a ton of energy and time that probably should really be spent on meeting her remaining high school graduation requirements. So, I’ve been thinking of maybe turning this into a work-study class? Would that be a valid elective to put on a transcript?

And how would she describe it on a resume? I had never heard of an embedded tutor before this, but I’m not a mathy/science person. She seems more like a TA to me, but she’s not doing any grading. Listing it as a tutor doesn’t seem like it really captures what she’s being asked to do. Any thoughts?

I would not "double dip" the experience.  I would list it on her resume (or a CV.....my kids have not had jobs, so a CV has better represented them than a resume),  I would describe what she is doing as a teacher's assistant.  Use whatever name the CC uses, but then include the above description using teaching assistant terminology.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

I would not "double dip" the experience.

Thanks! She’s not actually enrolled in the class—is that what you meant by double-dipping? She took the class last semester, so this is just her sitting through the class again and helping the professor get through all of the questions. 

1 minute ago, rzberrymom said:

Thanks! She’s not actually enrolled in the class—is that what you meant by double-dipping? She took the class last semester, so this is just her sitting through the class again and helping the professor get through all of the questions. 

By double dipping I mean including it on the transcript as a course and then again using it as an EC.  Choose whichever category you want to put it in.

• Like 1

I agree with 8 - you could count it as work experience or you could count it as more of an internship thing (maybe see what they call the 'student teaching' part of education or social work programs to get an idea of a course title?).  But, I wouldn't count it for both.  I once had to do an application where we had to assign hours to different things and obviously she couldn't say that she worked 8 hrs and then had an internship for a different 8 hours, so I'd just decide where it would be helpful for those hours to be counted.  

10 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

By double dipping I mean including it on the transcript as a course and then again using it as an EC.  Choose whichever category you want to put it in.

I think I’m really dim here. The class will definitely be on her transcript for last semester. This semester’s tutoring is a separate experience for her.

17 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

I think I’m really dim here. The class will definitely be on her transcript for last semester. This semester’s tutoring is a separate experience for her.

I'm not talking about last semester when she took the course. You asked 

2 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

So, I’ve been thinking of maybe turning this into a work-study class? Would that be a valid elective to put on a transcript?

And how would she describe it on a resume?

I'm saying choose one or the other, not both bc by both you are "double dipping" by putting it in 2 different categories.  And I 100% agree with Regentrude's  advice. 

9 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I would not bury this experience on the transcript in a course nobody is going to look at carefully.

I would highlight this experience by listing it as an extracurricular on her college application, and possibly elaborating on it in my counselor letter or having her use it in her essay

Ok, this makes a lot of sense. Thanks!