Menu

setting up a business FB page

ProudGrandma

My son (the same one who is setting up an etsy store) is also wanting to try and sell his blacksmithing things on FB marketplace in our area.  But he doesn't have a personal FB page and he really doesn't want one.  I have one, but didn't know if it was smart of me to get "in the middle" by me selling his things on my account.  

But, I am not sure if there is any other way to do it.  Does anybody here know what might be the best way to go and then exactly how to set up what can be done? 

thanks. 

Hi! It's me again. I sell on FB marketplace. His items will not appear on your personal page. Having a personal FB page is just the way into the marketplace, but the marketplace is it's own thing. Buyers contact the seller through FB messenger. Messenger is an app you can get on your phone. Or it appears on the top of your FB page. Just do some clicking around at things others are selling on FB marketplace and you will see how his items would appear.

Facebook and FB marketplace are two separate things (connected, I know, but the pages appear separate and distinctly-they do not overlap). I sell my handmade items through my personal FB page. I sell used things, for example a used stroller or an outgrown bike, through FB marketplace. I have seen people selling handmade things on FB marketplace, but not so much in my area. It may vary by location. Think of FB marketplace as an online garage sale.

Having a personal FB page is a good thing for a handmade business, since connecting with customers is an important aspect. On a personal or business FB page buyers reply to your post, or can send a private message through a DIFFERENT app, Messenger.

Buyers on FB marketplace contact you only through Messenger, there isn't a way to comment or reply to a post right on FB marketplace. Does you son have a tech/social networking savvy friend that might help him browse through all of this? My go-to tech help are my 20-something kids!

Best of luck

• Like 1

You can also set up a Business Page for him in FB. You will be listed as an Admin on the page, but it won't be as prominent and you won't be posting on your regular timeline or as yourself when you set up a business page. Not sure how it works with FB Marketplace since we just have a Business Page for customer engagement and ads (you can have hours, links to website, etc) .

Ok, admittedly I am not an expert, but I have a daughter who has a business FB page, so I feel compelled to reply and, especially, clear up the difference between FB Marketplace and a business page.

Marketplace is mostly for individuals who are selling items - similar to a garage sale.  Any messages are, certainly, private in that they are messages between individuals and are not appearing on ones feed/timeline.  If he lists things for sale using Marketplace, people would be able to go back to his personal page, but not the other way around.  Meaning, it will not show on his timeline what he has for sale (unless he wants to do that).

Alternatively, he can, now that he has a personal FB account, set up a business page that will be entirely separate from his personal page.  That business page can send its own messages through messenger, gain its own following, and, most importantly in your son’s case, list items on Marketplace.

To set up a business ‘account’, you go to the menu icon, and choose ‘pages’ choice, and choose ‘create page’ or some wording similar.  He can call his business whatever he likes, give a description, put it in a category, and then have his own business FB page to design and post on.  The business page will not link back to his own personal account...it may if you want it to...not sure about that in that DD wants hers separate and never looked into that...it is automatically ‘private’ though.  And, on the personal page, it is private and separate as well.  My DD put an item in her ‘about’ section of her personal FB page that she is administrator of her business (Cedar Hill Fiber Farm, if you’re curious), but she chose to have that.  Otherwise, it would have been private.

My DD helped me understand this before I decided to clear a few things up here, so feel free to let me know if something is unclear, and I’ll try to interpret her answers here=). 

Again, his business ‘page’ will be separate, can message people separately from personal page, and can post items for sale in Marketplace as its own entity without his personal account being involved at all.  As to groups, like ‘Blacksmiths of USA’ or whatever, it depends on the ‘group’ whether or not you can join as a business.  My DD finds that being a part of groups of other fiber professionals and farmers is helpful to her business growth because of networking opportunities and gaining of knowledge.  He may not really want to join groups, though, anyway, so that may be superfluous info.

Hope his ventures are successful - kudos to him for pursuing his passion to this point!

ETA - I feel compelled to add that her business is a ‘fiber’ business, as in ‘textiles’.   I cannot believe how often people misunderstand and think that instead of being a fiber supplier who has Angora rabbits, Angora goats, and sheep, people think that she is a ‘dietary fiber’ farmer, as in wheat or something...that is a funny misunderstanding to me=). Of course this is quite clear from her IG and FB presence, it is unclear, apparently, when talking to the general population.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

These are good points about a business page versus marketplace.

I follow a jewelry artist on FB.  It is her public business page.  She shows pieces in process and shares pieces for sale and precovid shared upcoming shows etc.  I found her page through an ad on a Panera bulletin board.  She advertises her page like she would a business and gains "followers" not "friends" if that makes sense.

Marketplace to me implies used stuff being gotten rid of.

• Like 1

The only thing I would say about having a business page is it can almost be a liability if you don't use it, keep it up to date, post interesting things regularly and are quick at responding to messages.   You can set it up so you'll get an e-mail when you get something in messenger.  

56 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

The only thing I would say about having a business page is it can almost be a liability if you don't use it, keep it up to date, post interesting things regularly and are quick at responding to messages.   You can set it up so you'll get an e-mail when you get something in messenger.  

He has an insta gram account and posts his projects etc regularly, so I don't see this as a problem for him.  Thanks for saying so though.  Good to know. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

He has an insta gram account and posts his projects etc regularly, so I don't see this as a problem for him.  Thanks for saying so though.  Good to know. 

Oh if he uses instagram, he can easily cross post if he links accounts!   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Familia said:

Ok, admittedly I am not an expert, but I have a daughter who has a business FB page, so I feel compelled to reply and, especially, clear up the difference between FB Marketplace and a business page.

Marketplace is mostly for individuals who are selling items - similar to a garage sale.  Any messages are, certainly, private in that they are messages between individuals and are not appearing on ones feed/timeline.  If he lists things for sale using Marketplace, people would be able to go back to his personal page, but not the other way around.  Meaning, it will not show on his timeline what he has for sale (unless he wants to do that).

Alternatively, he can, now that he has a personal FB account, set up a business page that will be entirely separate from his personal page.  That business page can send its own messages through messenger, gain its own following, and, most importantly in your son’s case, list items on Marketplace.

To set up a business ‘account’, you go to the menu icon, and choose ‘pages’ choice, and choose ‘create page’ or some wording similar.  He can call his business whatever he likes, give a description, put it in a category, and then have his own business FB page to design and post on.  The business page will not link back to his own personal account...it may if you want it to...not sure about that in that DD wants hers separate and never looked into that...it is automatically ‘private’ though.  And, on the personal page, it is private and separate as well.  My DD put an item in her ‘about’ section of her personal FB page that she is administrator of her business (Cedar Hill Fiber Farm, if you’re curious), but she chose to have that.  Otherwise, it would have been private.

My DD helped me understand this before I decided to clear a few things up here, so feel free to let me know if something is unclear, and I’ll try to interpret her answers here=). 

Again, his business ‘page’ will be separate, can message people separately from personal page, and can post items for sale in Marketplace as its own entity without his personal account being involved at all.  As to groups, like ‘Blacksmiths of USA’ or whatever, it depends on the ‘group’ whether or not you can join as a business.  My DD finds that being a part of groups of other fiber professionals and farmers is helpful to her business growth because of networking opportunities and gaining of knowledge.  He may not really want to join groups, though, anyway, so that may be superfluous info.

Hope his ventures are successful - kudos to him for pursuing his passion to this point!

thank you so much for walking me through this.  I really appreciate all of the help I am getting. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

So, I bet he needs a paypal account too, right?  Or is there a better way to do this?  He does have a checking account he plans to only use for his business. 

Yes, paypal is best/standard.

(Deleted something b/c pp already advised it)

Edited by Familia

He makes knives, but I guess, he can't sell those.  Is there anyway around that?   He makes other things too...but his knives are probably the best thing he makes.   We are still trying to set up an etsy store, but we hit a snag and haven't been able to work through it yet.  

Edited by kfeusse