Menu

Sentence Variety Unit?

alisha

My 8th grader's writing assignment today was to take a boring paragraph (example: "Paperclips are the most amazing office products ever invented. Paperclips are useful. Paperclips are easy to use. Paperclips are fun. Paperclips are not like staples. You don't need a special device to attach them......") And make it better, mainly by varying sentence openings within the paragraph. He didn't do that great. Yes, he got the basics-don't use the word "paperclips" too much and combine sentences, but he needs much more work on this topic before we move on. I looked online and found a powerpoint presentation that I liked, but wanted something slightly more in depth than a one day presentation and examples. 

Can anyone suggest a supplemental unit or something which works on fixing boring paragraphs?

I know these are the main ideas of IEW, but we tried IEW a couple years ago and it flopped (the repetition was awful, and he basically retained so much of the original, that re-writing was done from memory rather than the notes (words) that he wrote down). We've also done The Paragraph Book series from EPS, and a creative writing book for the other grades of Middle School. We also did Part 1 of WWS earlier this year. After finishing this book, I plan to head to 7sisters MS Essay Writing, but that seems to be a different area of writing than making your paragraphs "exciting".

Thanks!

No personal experience with it, but I believe that is the focus of Killgallon's Sentence Composing series:
Sentence Composing for Middle School: A Worktext for Sentence Variety and Maturity
- Sentence Composing for High School: A Worktext for Sentence Variety and Maturity

You can use Amazon's "Look Inside" feature to see whether the middle school or high school level is a better fit for your needs.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I would do sentence composing. This one combines grammar and sentence composing, so you're doing at lot more in the same amount of time as the normal sentence composing books.

https://www.amazon.com/Grammar-Middle-School-Sentence-Composing-Approach/dp/0325009562/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3M6R36B37W0IY&dchild=1&keywords=grammar+for+middle+school+a+sentence-composing+approach&qid=1611346457&sprefix=grammar+composing+sentence%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-3

• Like 1

Easy Writing does that. It is a supplement, and the activities can be done in any order--your choice.

You can also make the corrections yourself.

One of the reasons I dislike many of the more popular products for teaching writing is that they focus on writing paragraphs. I don't want to do that. I want to teach children how to write. Putting sentences in paragraphs is not the first step.

No resource recommendations, but this immediately made me think of Gary Provost’s This Sentence has Five Words. 

This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It’s like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety.

Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals–sounds that say listen to this, it is important.”

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

No resource recommendations, but this immediately made me think of Gary Provost’s This Sentence has Five Words. 

This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It’s like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety.

Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals–sounds that say listen to this, it is important.”

I saw that when I was searching for information and tools, but just blew it off because I thought-well, yes, sentence variety matters, that's WHY I'm trying to find something to teach him this. 

However, you bringing this to my eyes again, gave me pause and this time, I thought-Yes, I should show him this to motivate HIM to change. It doesn't tell me how to help the change, but if he sees the difference, that's a start. Thanks.

(I'm looking into the other resources mentioned--Thanks!)